Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Leery of Windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
September 7, 2011 1:06:35 AM

I am leery of changing from XP to Win 7. I am currently building a new pc and I've noticed a lot of components say they are only compatible with Win 7. I usually wait a year or two on a new os before changing over, if ever. I like xp and I know all the in's and out's of it, my work uses Win 7 and I have to say as far as the ease of use comments I've read I can't completely agree. I intend to use this new pc build for gaming, my problem lies in the fact that most newer components and software are not compatible with XP 64 bit, or XP at all. I'd like to hear back from some other people who've switched to Win 7 about their problems or pleasant surprises with gaming compatibility and what have you. I do intend to go Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit, unless someone gives me a good reason not to (besides cost). If I'm misinformed about XP compatibility issues by all means correct me because I would really rather stick with XP. Any help would be appreciated. Also I'm a big MMO, and FPS gamer.

My planned build:

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - RC-932-KKN5-GP
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 ROG - Maximus IV Extreme-Z
EVGA DS Superclocked GeForce GTX 580 - 015-P3-1587-AR
OCZ ZX Series 1250W - OCZ-ZX1250W
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz - BX80623I72600K
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB (SSD) - VTX3-25SAT3-120G
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM - CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8
Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB Internal Hard Drive - WD1502FAEX
steelseries USB Wired Gaming Cataclysm Keyboard - 64340
ViewSonic LED Black 27" 1ms Full HD - VX2753mh-LED
RAZER Megalodon Gold-plated USB 7.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset - Megalodon
RAZER Naga Molten 17 Button USB Wired Laser 5600 dpi Gaming Mouse - RZ01-00280500-R3M1
LITE-ON Internal Blu-ray Burner - IHBS112-29
VisionTek Bigfoot Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card - 900317
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus - RR-B10-212P-G1
Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1 Multimedia Speaker System - S-220

Any suggestions or critiques are welcome.

More about : leery windows

a b $ Windows 7
September 7, 2011 1:34:59 AM

I was the same way. Wasn't sure I wanted to move to 7 or not. (I avoided Vista) 7 and I have an uneasy relationship. I nearly uninstalled it when I went to save some drivers in the root of C and it told me no. I save things where I like to save them, my OS should NOT tell me I can't. I made a folder called drivers and saved them in my documents instead. I love that I can mute sounds in different programs without having to mute all sounds. Search could use some work though I suspect its me. (no way to search by date, file type, etc. That I know of anyways...) Overall its mostly like XP. But I haven't done a lot of digging. In day to day use its fine.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 7, 2011 1:35:46 AM

Go ahead and get windows 7. You will be well pleased.
To see if you have any currently installed hardware or programs that might have a problem, run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor:
http://windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor

Score
Related resources
September 7, 2011 1:47:16 AM

I would go for a 2500k. a 2600k is way overkill, especially if you overclock (unless you really need HT).

I find win7 to be ok. I don't find it to be that much better than XP, but i mainly have it for direct x 11 support.
Score
September 7, 2011 1:52:18 AM

It's hard to believe, but 7 is actually faster then XP even though it uses more resources. I turned off the desktop crap though on mine I don't need gadgets :) , although on my new build I might use them since I will have 16 gb of ram. There are some things in 7 that could be better, but nothing worth complaining too much about. If your still on the ropes you may want to wait for Windows 8 that should be coming out some time next year.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 7, 2011 1:59:11 AM

8 = vista. Might be fine for laptops or tablets, but not for a desktop. (From what we've seen so far.)
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
September 7, 2011 2:07:09 AM

I have been moving XP users to 7 for quite some time now. Many of them are reluctant to do so, my Dad being the most diehard XP user of them all. Never saw a reason to switch and never wanted to-until he used my laptop while out on vacation. After using win7, I sent him home with a release candidate and he had no problem migrating after that.

They all enjoy the experience WIN7 can give. I haven't had one person say, "I want to go back."

Besides this, win7 is more secure from the ground up. But mostly the world is leaving you behind. XP support is almost non-existent as I am sure you've noticed. You can't use more than 3 GB of ram, and XP 64 is crap-it never had 64bit support and it never will. There are any number of programs I am sure you find will not run on XP. The OS has reached its end of life. It was good while it lasted but unfortunately time marches on and so does progress.

You'll find gaming to be better and your peripherals put to better use. Considering the wealth of gadgets you have and the newer hardware, I am surprised you are still on XP. Really, you'll love your PC even more after the upgrade. I highly recommend you move to WIN7, I also think you will greatly enjoy it.
a b $ Windows 7
September 7, 2011 2:09:43 AM

BTW, trim is not supported in XP. If you're getting an SSD, that will make your choice very simple.
Score
September 7, 2011 2:49:59 AM

XP 64-bit was the worse pile of crap ive ever attempted to use in all of operating systems. It would constantly bluescreen and when it didnt bluescreen it would have application and other problems. When windows vista x64 bit came out that was first time that x64 didnt crash and have issues and bugs. Everyone gives Vista crap which is true for most people but the 64 bit version totally destroyed windows xp x64 bit.

Go with 7 it is amazing and you will love it.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 7, 2011 3:05:49 AM

The only issue I usually see people have is getting used to the new workflow/user interface. But this isn't too difficult, they just moved things around a bit. There's really no benefit in gaming from ultimate vs home vs pro. And I've had no compatibility issues.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 7, 2011 3:45:25 AM

I don't agree with a lot of what buzznut wrote.

Quote:
XP support is almost non-existent as I am sure you've noticed. You can't use more than 3 GB of ram, and XP 64 is crap-it never had 64bit support and it never will. There are any number of programs I am sure you find will not run on XP.

While I agree with the 64bit is crap comment and hence you can't use 4GBs, I wouldn't say that support is non existent or there are a number of programs that will not run on XP. DX11 games won't run, but most of them have a DX9 mode that will. And I have yet to find a program (actual program, not a game) that won't run on XP.

When I got the family pack I redid both mine and my wife's computers. Set them up for dual boot with XP. I have yet to launch XP. The only thing that might make me do that is playing some old CnC as IPX isn't supported by win7. We found out that her sims wouldn't work in 7. We tried everything we could, but it wouldn't launch. Her XP got a bad virus and I ended up formatting to get rid of it. I took Win7 off her computer at that time as well. She never booted into it because her favorite "game" wouldn't play on it.
Score
September 7, 2011 3:59:21 AM

buzznut said:
I have been moving XP users to 7 for quite some time now. Many of them are reluctant to do so, my Dad being the most diehard XP user of them all. Never saw a reason to switch and never wanted to-until he used my laptop while out on vacation. After using win7, I sent him home with a release candidate and he had no problem migrating after that.

They all enjoy the experience WIN7 can give. I haven't had one person say, "I want to go back."

Besides this, win7 is more secure from the ground up. But mostly the world is leaving you behind. XP support is almost non-existent as I am sure you've noticed. You can't use more than 3 GB of ram, and XP 64 is crap-it never had 64bit support and it never will. There are any number of programs I am sure you find will not run on XP. The OS has reached its end of life. It was good while it lasted but unfortunately time marches on and so does progress.

You'll find gaming to be better and your peripherals put to better use. Considering the wealth of gadgets you have and the newer hardware, I am surprised you are still on XP. Really, you'll love your PC even more after the upgrade. I highly recommend you move to WIN7, I also think you will greatly enjoy it.

About what I expected. I am still using xp on my old pc build which is.....4 years old. I like to build my pc's for the long haul with plenty of room to upgrade. But after reading all these helpful posts I guess I'll take the plunge with this new build.
Score
September 7, 2011 4:02:36 AM

Best answer selected by Razashamra.
Score
a c 395 $ Windows 7
September 8, 2011 12:44:05 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!