Please Help!! cpu vs. mobo

knazgul

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
I am having a problem with my power connector to my mobo from psu. Its the p4 connector. The 4 prong square molex. My system died one night and when I unplug the p4 everything starts up like fans and psu. I do not have any power to video though. Is this a cpu prob or mobo prob. From what Ive read, the p4 powers the cpu. So I am thinking its the cpu. I am using a pci-e video card and I have built in video on mobo. I took out the pci-e and I didnt get anything to post. Maybe I should reset cmos?

Is p4 power a vital connector? Fixable(bypass)
Should I not bother and just get a new cpu and mobo?

Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you unplug the P4 connector your CPU gets no power, and the system will start and run with no data going through. That's normal and proves nothing, it doesn't help in the diagnosis of your system failure.

knazgul

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
Thats what I wanted to make sure about. I wasnt sure if that powered the cpu or not. This is probably not worth my time trying to figure out and just get a new board and or cpu. That is one thing that im not sure about. Did cpu fry mobo or vice versa.

Specs are: amd 64 x2 5000
winfast mobo socket am2
450w power-up psu
geforce 8500gt pci-e gc

Thanks crashman for resp.

knazgul

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
The psu is fine. I tested it without being in case. I even had another psu that I used and same thing. Is there any test for the cpu that can be done to see if it is processing.

thanks