Sign in with
Your question

External Hard Drive Busted After PartitionMagic Fail

Last response: in Storage
February 17, 2010 5:46:41 PM

OK so basically I was trying to install a second partition on my external hard drive but half way through something went wrong and now the hard drive won't work at all. I have read through some similar threads on here and it seems the answer would be to use Active Partition Recovery. The problem is that when I try to run this program, or any other program that needs to access the external hard drive it just freezes and won't load. As soon as I unplug the hard drive it will load. I have tried starting the program and then plugging the hard drive in but it still won't have it. I am desperate to get to my important files and simply don't have the money to pay for them recovering.
When I plug the hard drive in to windows it shows up as a usb device but then it won't show up as an actual drive any more. If I try to run any program to access it like Partition Magic or even device manager they all just freeze.
I have tried the hard drive with another PC and the same happens. Any help would be great.
I am running Windows XP.
Cheers,
Seb.
a b G Storage
February 17, 2010 6:09:50 PM

Can you remove the external HDD from its case and install it into your computer? If so, you may be able to access it and the software to recover.
Related resources
!