AMD to hold more demos on Deneb

Theres a couple of Demos going on right now , or a few hours on Deneb, hosted by AMD. 1 in Chicago, and 1 in SF. This may help put to rest some of the doubt of Denebs capabilties. Im wondering what well end up seeing from these demos?

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Enough of this. Ship out some ES'.....if they are so confident in its abilities then give some review sites a bite. The fate of my new potential build relies on realistic data from the 940.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

Vendor Demos tell you very little.
As we know, each chip varies somewhat in its abilities.......

With 10,000s of chips to hand select, the demo means very little.
In Wild tests by unbiased folks using settings that can be used for day to day operation as what is important.

I understand where youre coming from, but try to understand where theire coming from. Theyve been financially squeezed with the acquisition of ATI from the start, and last produced an underperforming cpu in P1. Release isnt due til Jan 8th, but it would appear they want to hype this as much as possible, string it out, because they finally have a decent product they can be confident in.

Id love to see the final verdict as well, but a few peaks are nice also, sorta like shaking your presents under the tree way before Christmas arrives

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
+1 zen.
why are they so afraid of someone else touching these things besides themselves. like i said..either its fantastic or its an embarrassment.

While normally Id agree with you, the previous event allowed for a lil hands on, as these will as well

Id also point out that under the thinking that these are cherry picked cpus, or, that it can be done better than by those whove been invitede, all I can say is, let em go up against K|NP|N and see how they fair, as hes one of the invited. Also, Id point out that such people have a better undertanding as to whats really going on with the chips and the configs, and itd be pretty dangerous to try and fool them as well, and if they couldnt reproduce them from off the shelf chips, theyd be cutting their own throats as well, tho, there still may be NDA limitations, this may end here at these events, who knows

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Excuse me Jay, but how, precisely, does an AMD demo, of an AMD product, put any 'doubt' to rest? Because AMD has demonstrated honesty and accuracy in previous product demos? I think not. Or is it the "....they are only as good as their next product" mentality?

Until retail skus are in consumers hands, AMDs marketeering means nothing.

Oh, by the way, marketeering is my own made up word. A combination of martketing and racketeering, as thats what any PR division is....a bunch of organized criminals lying about a product in an organized campaign to hoodwink gullible consumers into buying.

Im hoping more stuff is lifted from the NDA, and we get a better idea as to how these will perform. Whats interesting is, after reading the Hexus article and the Annands article on AMD and the 4xxx series respectively, it seems AMD has changed somewhat as to their openess.

Like Ive said, the first demo allowed for hands on, not alot, but some. Im sure after inviting the top ocers in the world, itll have hands on. What a way to market. Theres hope for their marketing team yet

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

it doesnt make a difference jaydee. their whole spin is even stupider than the very same things you yourself criticized on the i7's with the released numbers. at the very least, the preliminary numbers were coming from independent entities and not Intel themselves. what are they trying to hide? i am trying to imagine your responses if Intel marketed along these lines.

Funny you bring up the 4800's They too were under NDA even though they were a good product. Thankfully there so many go in the system that some got released early causing the NDA to unravel. Too bad that probably won't happen here as its unlikely they are ahead of schedule right now.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Which in no way shape or form answers the question above, but instead, side steps.
-NDAs being lifted have nothing to do with AMD demos. For that matter, AMD is not subject to its own NDA's
-The 4xxx series and how it was handled has ZERO bearing on any forthcoming products from AMD, or their 'openess'. If AMD was 'open', we wouldnt have Non Disclosure Agreements, now would we.
-Allowing hads on means nothing. Pick any analogy you want.....lets say an Air Force open house. The Air Force holding an open house and allowing children to climb into the cockpit of a F16 and get "hands on" contols does not make those children pilots, niether does it give them any experiance with the performance or limitations of an F16.
-Inviting the "top ocers" has nothing to do with, accesabilty, limits or perfromance, nor doe it imply anything about how the chip will actually perform. This is pure associative speculation on your part.

So, since you don't want to actaully answer the question, I willl.

An AMD demo of an AMD product does nothing to put any 'doubts' to rest, no more than an Intel demo of an Intel product would.

Nor for that fact of the matter, does any of the screen shots that have been flooding the forrums.

So, youd believe Intel far less than some Joe on the internet? When C2D came out, guess what? We had the same responses were getting now. Oh, it cant be, its clocked to low to have this perf etc, and its from Intel, what do you expect? type quiries.

I understand where people are coming from, since it is coming from AMD, but these demos arent for Charlie and FUaD to come and see, this is for the top oceers, with some hands on. To me, its alot different having them there than the Inq.

Itll be interesting if these non important oceers are allowed to outperform AMDs own, and to go higher in clocks than what weve already seen. But, again, as this is just an AMD demo, it wont count at all

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Where is the same standard you placed on the Nehalem "leaks" and demos? For someone who constantly complained about "hyping" Core i7, you seem to take a more "accepting" stance for Deneb. Hmmm...what happened to "If AMD does the same hyping thing, I will complain about them too"? Yeah....

Also, AMD did a full on hands on launch/demo event for "Spider" in Lake Tahoe a year ago. It was great, according to all those in attendance. They got to overclock a few select systems there, as well, if I remember correctly. And in the end, I think most of those in attendance gave glowing reviews of the systems tested there. Everyone was stoked about the Phenom 9900, 2.6GHz CPU, that was the main CPU at that event;

What was the overall verdict of those CPUs, after this launch event/demo? What was the highest frequency of Phenom at release? Was it 2.6GHz?

Just give ES to independent reviewers, and let the chips fall where they may.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

Really? And how many of those Core 2 Duo results were from Intel demos? Or in house testing?

Most of those Core 2 Duo results were from 3rd party testers and/or independent review sites. Yes, no one could believe them, but huge difference is that - those results were not gathered by Intel, but sources outside of Intel.

Can you say the same thing about all this?

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Im not talking about Intel, but there is a significant difference between Intels introduction of C2D, and AMDs recent 'introductions'.....and this has been commented on many times before.........Intel flooded the tech/review sites with ES's prior to the the actual release of C2D. Everyone and their brother had a C2D to test and write about......and they did just that. Independant reviews with VERIFIABLE results....not random screen shots which may or may not have been altered. And weve all ready seen enough fake screen shots to place all other screen shots (from anyone except the 2 or 3 known names) squarely and uncontestbley into the catagory "suspect"

What this has to do with is AMD is handling information about this release the same way they did with Phenom.......AMD controled and more importantly supervised access. When the NDA's are lifted, we will see who got the ES's and how many were shipped.

If AMD were to have 'learned its lesson" we would have already seen/or will be seeing shortly lifting of the NDA and a flood of unrestrcited reports from THG, Anand, HardOCP, Xtreme, etc. We havent. We may yet, as there is still time, but I wont suprised one way or the other.

And until such time as we do see those reports, everything else is just so much marketeering

So, the first about i7 was also hype? Now thats a first. Of course this is hype, and its meant to be that way. Im just not stupid enough to think i7's "leaks" werent, thats all. This is real, true, honest to goodness hype, dont the right way, where it doesnt insult my intelligence.
Also, I was refering to Intels demos, as they were handed out, and proir. So, going from heatburst to C2D is acceptable now, but we have to go thru this alll over again because its AMD? Which has already done the pooch earlier with P1? And theyd be so stupid to do it again? I think Im now starting to understand how people actually thought those earlier posts about i7 were "leaks" and not hype

piesquared

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Wow, and who was saying AMD has no marketing. They've got this train moving at full speed ahead, and momentum building every single day it seems. The web is absolutely buzzing and bursting at the seams with talk of Phenom II, Radeon (brilliant article by Anantech I must say), and upcomming Stream capabilities. This is a flatout sprint to the finish, with AMD relentlessly hammering home it's products it the minds of enthusiasts.
The only other kind of launch that generated close to this much excitement and buzz was probably Core2. I7's a non starter, being stuck on the starting blocks with zero acceleration. I feel winds of change.

heh

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

No, Jay, because to date, AMD has NOT handled this release like Intel handled C2Ds release. They have, as far as the eye can see, with the exception of making it a press junket to a third world country, handled this like the introduction of Phenom MkI. Lots of posturing and some supervised looking. If they did flood the market with ESs as Intel did, and the NDA's as soon to be lifted, we will find out otherwise. Until that moment, if it occurs, they are playing the same game of 'come into the showroom, take some pictures, touch the keyboard...........aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand........your done'

I wont look up all the links that proves hands on, even a video, but thats ok, find fault with how theyre doing it, thats cool. But it is getting attention, and it is working. Maybe some dont like this way, but its open in the respect that whats being shown is allowed, and not insulting to me, as in "leaks". I think allowing those "leaks" was lame, poor marketing hype, and fail. Its all up to how you like your info before the final showing

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
These AMD RAN DEMOS, do not put any doubts to rest in my eyes. I know they arent going to go up on stage and lie about everything, but test performed by regular people for review on the net (anand, toms, whatever) are all I care about.

Dont show me slides of chips with every one of your products sitting at 100% while the competitions is at 45% or what not. What the hell is that percentage supposed to mean, percentage of ****? Do these people not understand that being honest will net more sales than lying? At least wait till AFTER your chip is for sale to lie....dont piss with the toilet lid down.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Video drivers?

**EDIT** Ahhh wrong linkage. Multiplier of 31 is a little insane. And whats up with the "red paint" splashes on that motherboard around the socket and memory?

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
oh i didnt buy the "leaks" either. i just think is is a special kind of stupid as marketing goes myself. as far as the actual product goes, i feel like i have learned nothing about it. the finished product is all that really counts so i wont equate poor, stupid marketing to a poor, stupid product. so yea.. as retarded as the "leaks" were, this is worse than an 8 year old performing a magic show.