Phenom II 965 C2 gets 1.5v default???

Horrux

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
I am running my 965 on an ASUS M4A79 Deluxe with DDR2. I left the settings, especially that of the voltage, at default settings, knowing from a costly experience how easy it is to fry a CPU with too much voltage...

Then I was perusing my BIOS with the idea of potentially overclocking my setup and discover that my CPU gets 1.5v default. Then CPU-Z is giving me a Core VID of 1.400v which I find very surprising...

Am I hurting my CPU with too much voltage? Is the BIOS wrong? What gives?

Solution

Correct, but when you have a CPU that is spiking voltages from 1.3v all the way to 1.5v then you know there is something wrong, and in that case all you have to do is set the voltage to it's stock VID, in this case 1.35v and you are set. 20 years ago you could not do anything since you had no BIOS, all the settings were done via jumpers. I have been using PC's since 84, building since 96 and many things...

Horrux

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Well no reason to over-volt it then... I wonder why the mobo does this? Maybe coz it's an overclocker's board, but still... Only over volt when you need the juice right...

Thanks guys.

Horrux

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

Actually I have been building my PC's for nearly 20 years and I don't recall ever having to set the voltage. The mobo usually knows what voltage to feed the chip. When you flash the bios to have the new chip recognized, the board adjusts the volts automaticall, in every single case I have seen over the last... at least 10 years.

Correct, but when you have a CPU that is spiking voltages from 1.3v all the way to 1.5v then you know there is something wrong, and in that case all you have to do is set the voltage to it's stock VID, in this case 1.35v and you are set. 20 years ago you could not do anything since you had no BIOS, all the settings were done via jumpers. I have been using PC's since 84, building since 96 and many things have changed since then ;) . Single and dual cores do not require much voltage so it is not an issue... So in all you can leave the CPU VID on AUTO if desired, many just prefer to set it manually.

Solution