Sign in with
Your question

Water cooling case vs just kit?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 16, 2009 10:52:46 AM

Hello all,

I've been looking at Armor+ LCS VH600LBW

OR SwordM VD500LBNA

Are either of these two good? I'm a heavy gamer and will have an I7 processor in it. Or is there another case or just kit you would recomend? I'm looking to spend $300 and below.

More about : water cooling case kit

a c 86 K Overclocking
December 16, 2009 12:04:34 PM

This kit has a great block, rad pump and is expandable.
http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-H20-22-Ultima-XT-Liqui...

Please, after looking at this, go to the watercooling solved sticky at the top of this forum. Take your time.

BTW, There are many pre-made kits out there. None of them stand up to real watercooling, using the good stuff. The link I gave you is top stuff put into a great selection of parts. Swiftech is just one of the good atuff makers.

Read for a few days before buying anything, the links in the guide will steer you right.
m
l
December 16, 2009 12:13:47 PM

Ditto what Conumrum said.

There's really no substitute for using the proper parts rather than the pre-packaged kit. It's not so straightforward, but building your own set-up is not as hard as it sounds provided you do the reading first and take your time to get it right.

Even a numpty like me managed it when I did my first watercooled rig a few years back with no prior experience. $300 should be plenty to set up a decent loop. Be aware that the hardest part for me was summoning the courage to mod my case! That's the advantage those pre-assembled ones have I guess, but they still aren't really as good as a custom one with decent components.
m
l
Related resources
December 16, 2009 9:09:31 PM

Just finishing up my first WC build. Yep, Conundrum's guide in the stickies is the place to start your research. Just plan everything out in your head before you start, it's not too hard, but I made a few mistakes on my first build despite pouring over every minute detail.

Three suggestions:
  • Get your parts list COMPLETELY done ahead of time (it sucks having to paying shipping on one item). I've found Jab Tech and Performance PCs to have good prices and good selection of everything, and they're reasonably priced.
  • Plan your case layout well in advance (take account for massive GPUs, drives, fans, etc), and drill any necessary holes for filling or draining BEFORE you mount the motherboard. It sucks to get your mobo mounted, then realize you need to drill a hole (cuz metal shavings in the mobo are NOT a good idea)
  • I would definitely recommend using a T-line for filling/draining over a reservoir. I used an MCRES Rev 2, and it works well, but a T-line has some definite advantages and takes up a lot less space.

I used an HAF 932, works very well, except the pre-drilled fill-port location is in a dumb spot if you're using a reservoir (so go with a T-line).
    m
    l
    a c 158 K Overclocking
    December 17, 2009 1:05:23 AM

With 4.4 or 4.5 GHz easily accomplishable on air, consider first if you wanna even do water.
    m
    l
    a c 86 K Overclocking
    December 17, 2009 3:00:17 AM

Easily? At what noise levels? At what acceptable temps? Goodness, over 73C is bad news for an i7, think it's the same for for a i5.

A quick load at above 73C is fine for stability tests, but any normal use where the CPU is over 73C is bad.

Like to see normal usage Prime 95 small fft on an air cooled i7 at under 80C at 4.4. Sure show me the data, you gotta be kidding me, unless it's a cherry CPU and Mobo.

Still, I call you out Jack. Prove it.
    m
    l
    December 18, 2009 7:27:36 AM

From what I hear above 4.1/4.2ghz is where it gets dicey.

I've freed up a couple hundred dollars towards my new computer purchase, which is why I've also started to consider going into water cooling. Bought so many computers in my day that it's time to try something new, but research comes first. Will take me a day or two to catch up to the treading given in the stickied guide thread.
    m
    l
    a c 126 K Overclocking
    December 18, 2009 7:45:22 AM

3.8 / 4ghz is do-able on Air, Jack I to would love to see 4.4/4.5 ghz on Air (and under 75C)

I think water cooling might net you an extra 300/500mhz If you have a good custom loop.

Worth it IMO :p 
    m
    l
    !