Sign in with
Your question

New Video Card Announcement from nVidia?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 10, 2008 7:07:38 PM

Just wondering if anyone knew of a new release in the works from nVidia in the coming month (or week)? I think I remember that there is supposed to be something getting announced next week or was that just the confirmation of nVidia's involvement with some new release from Apple?
I was just noticing that there were some rebates being offered by virtually all manufacturers for the GTX 280s. My thoughts are: should I scoop some of these up (will be building a Nehalem system next month with nVidia cards, I have a personal bias against / distaste for AMD/ATI products (burned, literally by both company's components/designs). Are these good deals or am I about to miss a new release by nVidia?
a b Î Nvidia
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 10, 2008 7:39:54 PM

There will be some cards called GTX 270 and GTX 290, plus a GTX 200 GX2 or something like that (made of two GTX 260 sandwiched together). Too early for details.

What do you mean "scoop some of these up". Are you talking about a system with 2 or even 3 GTX 280 cards? Wow... You better wait until Nehalem is out and you know exactly what those new motherboards can support. I hear they will support SLI, but I don't know about Triple SLI.

October 10, 2008 8:33:59 PM

Me and my friend are building identical systems (I'm the one with the expertise, he just wants to stop being envious of whatever system I have as my primary) and we are each planning on having two video cards running in SLI. I'm 99% sure that most of the Nehalem boards are supporting 2x SLI at release, its still a slight gamble to get them a little early (couple days/weeks if I did it at the end of the rebate period which ends Oct 31).

So, in essence, by scoop some of these up I mean 4 (and some decent savings with rebates being applied) between the two of us.

And psshhh on smacking two GTX 260s to make an X2, we want a GTX 280 X2 card... and then SLI those beasts (yeah yeah, scaling sucks at the moment).
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 10, 2008 8:46:26 PM

OK, GTX 280 X2 won't happen soon because that card would need more than 300W and the PCI-E system is limited at that. Maybe with some major die-shrink and lower clocks, I don't know... They'd also need some weird cooling system, like the Sapphire Toxic series for example. No way a fan could handle all that and still not make the card occupy 3 slots.

Those will be really nice PCs. I'm kind of jealous, with my ancient 8800GTX that doesn't even make the top 10 any more :) 

You'll need 30" monitors to make it all worth while, btw.

a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
October 10, 2008 9:09:46 PM

aevm said:
OK, GTX 280 X2 won't happen soon because that card would need more than 300W and the PCI-E system is limited at that.
only 300? Isn't the current typical max = 75watts from the PCI-e slot, 75watts from PCI-e 6pin adapter and 225watts from PCI-e 8pin adapter for 375watts total?

Anyone think they might feed power to each half independently? Or install dual 8 pin PCI-e power adapters?
I think it will be interesting to see how the power and cooling engineering turns out.

I do think two GTX 280s probably makes more sense. Or two GTX 260/216s if you're a smart tech investor.
October 10, 2008 11:15:34 PM

Not to derail the thread too much, but we both just purchased and received our nice 26" Samsung HDTV monitors (resolution of 1920x1200). This brought back my free basic cable in the living room of my apartment, :) 
If you are interested in what I'm talking about, we got it off Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001281

It was a perfect buy for me personally, though for most it would be a waste to have a HDTV tuner built into a monitor (but again, its exactly what I needed for my current apartment setup). I think that these monitors will be perfect to take advantage of the best hardware available in the coming month or two.
October 10, 2008 11:36:28 PM

Nehalem motherboards will not support sli without a special bios that has been verified nvidia, it just a cash generator for them and i would like to say to nvidia stop all this crap and just let sli run on all intel chipsets, well thats the way i understand it
a b Î Nvidia
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 11, 2008 1:47:51 AM

You got a point there. nVidia would lose royalties on the high-end Nehalem motherboards but they would sell more video cards.

@WR2: IIRC the 8-pin PCI-E connector gives 150W, not 225W, but I may be wrong. Anyway, I'm sure nVidia will have a monster double card one of these days, trying to get back the top spot. That should be interesting to watch :) 

a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2008 5:03:37 AM

No - you were right. 8 pin PCI-e adapter is 150 watts. So the 6 pin and 8 pin used together provide 225watts to go with the 75watts from the PCI-e slot.
October 11, 2008 6:44:32 AM

Yes but doesnt the PCIe gen 2 slot give 150watts? I think that it was up from the 75 in gen 1.

I think, I dont know if im right or not.

Just my 2 cents.

And im likeing my 4870. I can max all games...but not cysris and 1920x1200.

I think that is the GTX and the 4000 gen. were this good that the next gen should be better...hopefully.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 11, 2008 11:00:18 PM

I read somewhere that TSMC will have a 40nm process by March 2009. That means the next gen will be able to have lots more transistors, at about the same physical size and power consumption as current cards. That should take care of Crysis...
October 12, 2008 2:27:33 AM

aevm said:
I read somewhere that TSMC will have a 40nm process by March 2009. That means the next gen will be able to have lots more transistors, at about the same physical size and power consumption as current cards. That should take care of Crysis...

In this we pray...
!