BicycleRepairMan

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Hi. I am looking to upgrade the available space on my computer. I have been looking into NAS, but the only devices I see that would fit what I think my needs are are few, expensive and have vague reviews.

I have about 1TB of disk space right now (almost full). I want to have a backup of that, and a friend of mine suggested I look at NASs. Additionally, I estimate that I have 1TB +/- a few hundred gigs of data on dvds and cds that I want to put onto a hard drive (and back THAT up). So now that's 4TB all told. Then I figured I'd get 1TB for future space considerations. Backing that disc up would bring it all to 6TB.

I have a few questions: Do I need to get one NAS device that can take 6TBs? And if so are there diskless drives where I can put drives of my choice into that NAS.
Can I get, say, 3 2TB NAS devices and link them together? I was told to look at Netgear for the NAS and seagate for the drives. I have a Windows system and would not be installing this by myself. I have a computer tech who would do it for me.

Any other tips are appreciated. Thanks!

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
How much are you looking to spend on this project?
The reason I ask is NAS enclosures (not to mention 6 TB of drive space) is rather expensive; You might want to consider a few external HDDs and one NAS for shared backup.

As for 3 (or more) NAS enclosures, they would have to be addressed as separate devices, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem; just make sure you have enough ports on your switch.