Recipe for Overclocking the i5 750

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • Intel i5
Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
December 16, 2009 2:58:29 PM

I am sure everyone has watched this video on youtube, and if you haven't it actually does help quite a bit. I have a similar board to this so it worked out nicely. I was able to achieve a stable 4.0 Ghz OC on my system, but being as I am a chicken I backed the processor down to a steady and stable 3 Ghz. Also I know my system has terrible airflow. It's all the case's fault. It's an Antec, an old one. A generation before the SOLO. So yeah, after swapping that I might get better airflow and try for higher speeds. I don't qualify that as a "real" OC in my book since with turbo ON, the machine goes up to 3.2 Ghz.

But I wanted to share. I hope you all enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llqhe3N1cJA

More about : recipe overclocking 750

December 16, 2009 3:29:29 PM

They are running that CPU REALLLY toasty in that video... Thats also definitely not the best way to OC- theres a ton more basic stuff that goes into it than just being able to just to a 185MHz Base clock.
m
l
December 16, 2009 3:32:24 PM

Does the i7 guide sticky apply to i5 overclocking?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
December 16, 2009 3:38:50 PM

You bet your butt that thing is running toasty. And I never claimed it was the best, it's just one way of doing it. Also I know the cooler he's running (I think its very similar to the Corsair H50) isn't the best, under any circumstances. I have one cooling my Phenom II X3 720 and it does alright, but AMD's tend to run pretty cool. And being tri-core has it's advantages. Back to the i5, if you personally have a better way, by all means share it. This is just kind of a starting point. That's whats great about custom PC's. You can do what you want and take your own path. And sometimes the path of least resistance (IE, Easiest) isn't best for everyone.
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
December 16, 2009 3:45:55 PM

LOL just noticed in the vid, they actually got it up to 99C! And they are running coretemp. Eh. I like RealTemp to be honest. It's usually with 2 or so degrees so it's not like it's life and death critical. And anyone else catch on CPU-Z it says it's a 1160 form factor? Did I miss something or isn't this a 1156? Ah well.
m
l
December 16, 2009 3:52:17 PM

I'm not saying it was necessarily bad or wrong or anything, just saying I think they tried to over-simplify the process and gave you a really good way to burn up your CPU. 1.4 Volts is WAY too high for a 3.7 GHz overclock, and FAR FAR too much voltage for an Air-cooled/fake water cooled system. Manufacturer specs say max temp of 62C, and really to be safe you shouldn't ever go over 75ish C. going up over 85C is just CRAZY. If you really need that simple of an OC experience, buy an MSI board and use OC genie. I've got my i5 on the same MSI P55-GD80 OCed to 3.6 on 1.2 V. You should really step up slowly on the base clock (5-10 clicks at a time), and increase voltage AS NEEDED until you reach whatever you are trying to get to, paying close attention to temps and stability. There is some good info in there, but to just throw 1.4 volts at it and let it heat up to 99C is really just stupid.
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
December 17, 2009 4:10:12 PM

The board does the voltage calculations automatically and I don't know WHY he went and did that (setting to 1.4V) when I ran at 4 Ghz to get an idea on the temps I would get (BTW I was over 82 C, which was too damn hot for me!) I was auto volted at 1.360 V. I think that might actually be too high but I am no expert. At the moment I pulled all overclocking attempts and just running a H50 at stock speed and idling at 36 and at full load 60. That's with turbo on. No test yet with turbo off.
m
l
December 17, 2009 4:23:33 PM

Yeah- 1.4 V is definitely too high for what he's doing. If you have sufficient cooling, 1.4V is totally fine, but for a 3.7 GHz overclock, 1.4 is way more than needed and way too much for their cooling. and like I said- I'm running perfectly stable at 3.6 with 1.2 V (idling at 32-35, 52-55 100%load). you ran at 4.0 GHz with 1.36V. at 1.4 V, if you have a good OCing chip, you could probably get over 4.1+Ghz if you had enough cooling.
Your stock temps are good. You'd probably be perfectly fine pushing a decent OC, without pushing temps too far. I prefer to stay under 60ish C if I can, but you're probably ok pushing farther than that (def not over 75-80 though). Turning turbo off, your temps will probably be a little lower at full load, idle won't change. If you OC though, you'll want Turbo off anyway, and then you'll have a consistent max temp. Good luck with the OCing if you decide to do that.
m
l
December 29, 2009 3:27:11 PM

Hi guys I'm new to the forum I just built my first rig about 2 days ago as a XMAS gift to myself and I'm kind of concerned that it is running a bit warm, apparently my cpu is being overclocked right now and I was hoping someone could take a look and offer some advice if they notice anything

Specs:
Intel Core i5 750
Gigabyte P55M-UD2
4gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1866
MSI GTS250 OC Twin Frozr 1gb GDDR3
Thermaltake TR2 RX 700W
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm

Ive included a pic of the cpu-z, core temp and system properties so you guys can see... I just want to make sure that I'm not slowly cooking it as I'm new to most of this. Also my system only reads 3.5 gigs of ram not the full 4?

http://i46.tinypic.com/11m9e03.jpg <-- screen shot
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2009 4:13:14 PM

heat said:
Hi guys I'm new to the forum I just built my first rig about 2 days ago as a XMAS gift to myself and I'm kind of concerned that it is running a bit warm, apparently my cpu is being overclocked right now and I was hoping someone could take a look and offer some advice if they notice anything

Specs:
Intel Core i5 750
Gigabyte P55M-UD2
4gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1866
MSI GTS250 OC Twin Frozr 1gb GDDR3
Thermaltake TR2 RX 700W
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm

Ive included a pic of the cpu-z, core temp and system properties so you guys can see... I just want to make sure that I'm not slowly cooking it as I'm new to most of this. Also my system only reads 3.5 gigs of ram not the full 4?

http://i46.tinypic.com/11m9e03.jpg <-- screen shot

Your not seeing your full 4 gigs because your using a 32-bit OS. XP only addresses 3.25-3.50 GB as a rule. You can modify Windows XP to show the full 4 GB but it's a wasted effort. Also I notice your running SP2. Please upgrade to SP3. Or better yet spend the $150 on a OEM copy of Windows 7 Pro and call it a day. Also if those temps are at full load, your doing fine. But if your OC'ing using the stock heat sink, please don't do it. i5's run pretty warm to start with so I would suggest something like a Coolermaster 212 Hyper+ if your going for mild OC'ing or maybe you can use something a bit more substantial if your going all out. But please, for the love of God, read as much as you can on the subject matter and read all the stickies before asking questions that have been answered before.

If you still need help, please ask. But do some legwork on your own. And welcome to the forums. :D 
m
l