Pioneer DVR-218D Feature

wvary

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
I'm planning on buying a DVR-218D burner.
I'm currently using a Pioneer DVR-S18MBK and it isn't bad.
My friend burned for me some DVDs using the DVR-116D burner and the quality is awesome (note: she uses a dvd duplicator, DVR-116D is the burner in the duplicator). DVDInfoPro results of these burned DVDs produce 99% quality.

I'm guessing the DVR-218D is a newer model and the 2 is the SATA adapter version.
Some of the key features I see in at Pioneer website are:

DVR-215D model:
"The Quiet Drive Technology reduces the noise level of audio and video playback while also delivering increased writing reliability. Liquid Crystal Tilt/Blur Compensator plays and records to discs more reliably - the Pioneer technology that compensates for warped discs."

DVR-216D model:
"Optimal Write Speed: the drive recognizes the disc media and automatically adjusts the write speed to ensure the highest quality digital preservation of vital files

Quiet Drive: the internal mechanisms of the drive were redesigned to better insulate the distracting noise generated by a disc spinning at extremely fast rotations per minute (RPM). The unique interlocking design ensures a low acoustic noise by "trapping" the airflow noise generated by the spinning disc while simultaneously dampening the sounds created by normal drive usage

Improved Durability: through the new anti-dust design, an improved chassis insulation aids in the protection of the drive's internal components from dust and small particles that can hinder the drive's operability and life span"

Can't find DVR-217D or DVR-218D specs on Pioneer's website. I assume the features of DVR-215D and DVR-216D are built into the new DVR-218D model.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the DVR-218D model?

I don't want to use the DVR-218L model because I don't see the features that I see in the "D" models and I don't make labels on the DVDs using lightscribe.

Also, where can I buy DVR-218D burners? The traditional stores/website aren't selling them.

Thanks,

Will

Mimoso

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

wvary

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Hi Mimoso,

I notice the DVR-218L model doesn't say anything about writing quality in comparison to the "D" models. I assume the "L" models are for the label flashing feature of the burners. I don't use that feature.

Thanks,

Will