Arctic 7 freezer pro vs titan fenrir

Herm

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I have a q6600 clocked at 3ghz with a arctic freezer pro. Temps go up to 60c on full load. The vid never goes above 1.275. Could I get a higher clock speed using another cooler such as the titan fenrir? And if so by how much? I am not confident tweeking with voltages.

What case are you using?

Those temps are way off, the Freezer should be able to keep that quad at around 40c idle and 52c load at that clock unless you have terrible cooling and high ambient temps....

The Fenir will help reduce load temps but before you go spend money on a new cooler you should troubleshoot first....

Herm

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

Thermaltake Soprano. The temps you gave sound about right, idle around 39c it rarely gets above 45c, has been low 50s at times. The 60c was on one ocassion with various programs running including crysis. Never seen it so high since. I have taken this as the max or full load as a result.

Well the only REAL way you will know your LOAD temps is by running prime95 for a few hours. This will give you an accurate number as to how hot your CPU will get under extreme conditions.

Not sure of the air-flow quality in the Soprano but make sure the case is exhausting all the heat out the rear.

Have you tried re-pasting and re-seating the CPU?

Herm

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

No havent tried that. I am new to overclocking etc. and the PC I bought was pre clocked at that speed. I will run prime95 as you suggest (not sure what it is or where it is?) in the next day or so and see how it goes. Thanks.
I presume that if this is all ok, a higher clock speed is possible?

Herm

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

I have run the 'torture test' Prime 95 for 10hrs. Temps are between 54c - 58c on average occasionally up to 57c-61c. Is this ok?

Those temps are not bad, they should be lower but we have to take into consideration that ambient (room) temp plays a big role as well. Like I said, re-pasting and re-seating the heatsink should help a bit but if you are not comfortable doing that then just leave it alone specially if you are going to leave the CPU at 3Ghz...If you are not going to push your CPU to higher clocks there is no need for you to buy the Fenir...

Herm

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

I would like to get the cpu has high as poss. as long as it is stable. I have heard that some (q6600s) can go to 3.6 on air. Would it be poss. to get anywhere near this with a change to the Fenir?

Well it all depends on your cable managment, room temp and overall case airflow. The Fenir will shave off a few degrees more than the Freezer but you should first reach your desired clock and make sure it is stable before you go and buy another cooler. This way you will know for sure if a new cooler is needed or not. For 3.6Ghz you should not need a new cooler. I have a buddy here on Toms that has a Q9400 at 3.7Ghz using the same cooler that you have and his temps are fine =)