New motherboard - restarts at win 7 logo loop

zental

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2004
I just installed a new motherboard (different brand) and now when I boot up it gets to the windows 7 loading screen and then freezes and restarts infinitely. I've tried to use the startup repair and that says it cannot repair this computer automatically.

I'm assuming this is just a driver conflict. Can anyone tell me how to install the new chipset drivers for the new mobo without being able to get into safemode or windows? It gets to classpnp.sys and then restarts when trying to go into safemode.

I have the CD, but when I boot to it, it just says there are no new bios versions available, so it's like a bios flasher when booted before windows.

Ugh... Am I going to have to just reinstall win 7? I want to at least copy my data off of the drive first, but I was hoping I could fix this without having to do that.

Did you boot to the Win 7 disk and try a repair setup, or just the startup options?

If you want to avoid having to copy your data and settings out and back, get a new hard-drive, install Windows on that, and copy over your files from the original drive. You'd still have to re-install your applications.