Sign in with
Your question

DMA Mode on Channel 0 & 1

Last response: in Storage
February 17, 2010 9:58:32 PM

I have two WD drives in my system. I am currently running windows 7 and have been happy with my system but have noticed some things running slower than it did on XP.

The Primary came with the system and is 7200rpm 200 gig drive. I did a test and got an average of 40 read and write to it.

My secondary is a 7200 rpm 750 gig drive and I got an average of 88 read and write to it.

I checked the devices to make sure that DMA was turned on to the drive since this seemed to be the common reason for slow tranfers. Channel 1 shows the drive having it turned on. However, channel 0 does not even show what mode the drive is, which means I can't even switch the mode for it.

Is 40 really that bad? I my drive at the end of it life? Why does the mode not show up on it?

More about : dma mode channel

a c 415 G Storage
February 17, 2010 10:49:02 PM

"40 read and write" doesn't say what kind of measurement you were doing or what software you benchmarked with. Is it megabytes/sec? Milliseconds of access time? Concurrent I/Os?

Kind of impossible to say anything without more detailed information.
m
l
February 17, 2010 11:10:22 PM

sminlal said:
"40 read and write" doesn't say what kind of measurement you were doing or what software you benchmarked with. Is it megabytes/sec? Milliseconds of access time? Concurrent I/Os?

Kind of impossible to say anything without more detailed information.

Megs/Second. Used the utility from WD - Data Lifeguard to do the benchmark.
m
l
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
February 17, 2010 11:55:26 PM

40 MBytes/sec may be reasonable for a 200GB drive. The speed doesn't degrade over time, except that when files get fragmented things can slow down (but that can be solved by defragmenting the drive or formatting it). However newer drives with the data packed more densely on the platters are faster than older drives.

If your CPU time remains low while copying files to or from the drive (assuming no other programs are running) then the DMA is working as it should be.
m
l
February 19, 2010 12:35:34 AM

Ok, it kinda freeked me out a little when I didnt even see an option to change the mode in the settings for that drive. I am thinking of buying another drive do to size and speed of that drive anyways.
m
l
!