Hello all . This will be my first OC in about 4 years so I have a few questions that I would like to get out of the way but first here are the system specs.
Board: EVGA 760 Classified
Processor: I7 920 D0
Heatsink: Thermalike True 120 Black (with optional Fan Clip for Push/Pull Config.)
Memory: Corsair Dominator (3x2GB) 7-7-7-24
PSU: Corsair 1000HX
Video: 2x 7800 GTX (yeah I know it is dated, soon to replace with something better)
HD: Primary is a 75GB Raptor (with 4 other SATA drives for media)
Sound: Creative Fatality Championship Edition
Now with that out of the way time for Q & A I hope.
1. What is the best 120 mm Fans to use with my heatsink and what is the best for case fans of equal size. ( Sound is not really an issue as my current CPU sounds just like a boeing.)
2. What would be the best choice for my GPU upgrade (After all my reading it just seems that nvidia is no longer in the contest but of course I could be wrong.)
3. The ever present question of what my goal should be for achieved MHZ overclock ( Preferably noting recommended voltage/timing settings.)
4. And finally Same as 3 however for the RAM
This is kind of a wishlist of questions any answers would be great but not nescessarily all, Thanks.
2. It depends on your budget. 1x HD5850 at least, get 2 if you can afford it.
3. 3.6GHz is the best IMO as the power drew from the CPU will increase exponentially after this frequency unless you got one of the best chips. And you should be able to achieve this clock without any increase in the core voltage according to many owners of it-920 D0
4. You will want to make it as close to the maximum specified frequency as possible with specified voltage.