Sign in with
Your question

If 8800 GTS and 9800 GTX are so similar, why different power connector

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2008 3:47:59 AM

Ok, please don't think I'm an idiot, but I've had a 8800 GTS 512 for awhile, and have been thinking of getting another for SLI.

I know that nVidia will be releasing the Big Band II at some point, and I think you'll be able to mix and match GPUs from the same driver/series.

I was wondering, if the 9800 GTX and the 8800 GTS have nearly the same specs, why does the 9800 GTX have 2x 6-pin connectors, and the 8800 GTS only need 1x 6-pin connector?

A follow up - why does the 9800 GX2 only need 2x 6-pin connectors as well? If it's 2 9800 GTXs, shouldn't it need more power than that? I know that each of those PSU connectors can supply some serious power, but it seems so odd logically.

I just thought this was odd. My PSU only has 2x 6-pin connectors, and I was thinking of using the old 8800 GTS as a PhysX processor or in SLI and get an upgrade card.

Thanks for anyone who has an answer.
October 11, 2008 4:04:29 AM

I know it uses more power (obviously), but I don't know why. The core, shader, and memory clocks are higher, but not by a lot.

The 9800gx2 only needs 2 power connectors because it's 2 downclocked 9800gtx's (basically 2 8800gts's).

I wouldn't use it as a PhysX card. Get another and put them in sli. They are about the equivalent of a gtx280 when in sli.
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2008 12:47:37 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I am waiting on the new drivers, since I have dual monitors, and don't want the one to shut off while using the other.

Strange how similar those two cards are (nearly identical) and one uses an extra connector.

Don't know if anyone else has any specifics. I'd love to hear them.

Thanks so far.
!