Building a multiscreen pc help please

paulbrochill

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
So I am not a computer genius but heres my goal:

I plan to build a multi screen pc

I'd like to have atleast 3 monitors at the same time

And I know what I would need for a video card but when it comes to motherboards Im lost and powersupplies to handle that much.

If anyone could post a good build of a PC utilizing 3 monitors I'd greatly appreciate it.

br3nd064

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
If you're not gaming, a lot of the newer cards will be overkill. You just need 2 pci express x16 video cards. Make sure you also get a motherboard with at least 2 pci express x16 slots. As for the power supply, I think it would be best if you first decide on the motherboard and video cards, then we'll be able to better tell you what power supply you need.

Hope that helps.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
If you want to run 3 screens, the most important part is finding a single graphics card that can handle 3 or more outputs. Otherwise you'll have to run 2 individual cards separately, which is bad for cost, performance, or power consumption.

Consider this 3870x2, for up to 4 monitors.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121247
3870x2, although old, still perform on par with newer 4870, does not require an expensive motherboard with 2 pciex16 slots, and can run on a typical 450+w psu. A dual pciex16 x38/48/780i cost $200, a single pcie p45 perform as well as x38/48, better than 780i, while costing half as much. The psu needed will also be lighter than 2 card that would match the single card performance would require.

paulbrochill

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
One of the three monitors is going to carry most of the work load as far as final renderings, gaming and such. If I had to go with two cards I could just rune the main monitor off of one card and split the second card for the other two monitors which are mostly for extra screen space for research and drafting in cad type programs. Would it really hurt my performance that much or is a single card that much better? Performance is my top priority and I'll do some hunting for a single card if I need to.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Of course it's bad for performance. Sli/cf do not work in multiple monitors. So your two cards will work separately, max performance is limited to whatever one single card of the two can handle. With the same money, you can buy one more powerful card that performs at a higher level. Of course, if money is not a factor then dual cards are fine. Dual will still require bigger psu for the same level of performance though.

paulbrochill

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
So my question is now. the Card you linked above says it supports an "Exclusive 4dvi out" port.

so that would mean I could run up to 4 monitors on that one card, that'd be stretching it I am assuming.. So If i were to run three why would I need 2?

br3nd064

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
That one card can handle up to 4 monitors. I was saying get 2 cards, each with 2 dvi connectors. dagger suggested you get 1 card with 4 dvi connectors. You would need 2 cards only if you follow my suggestion.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

2 cards? A normal card has 2 outputs, 3 is more than 2. I believe there are models with 3 outputs, but they're about as rare as 4 output cards.

paulbrochill

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
sorry yeah I was coming back to edit it.
I realized it after I went and did some more research..

So far
I am going w/ that video card you listed above.
a 500 gig hard drive
and we are searching for a mobo and we went w/ the intel quad core 2.4 6600.

So now I just need to find a suitable mobo and the power supply?

Should I go for somthing like 500 or 600? what kind of wattage. Im kind of guessing here.

edit:
my current computer runs a evga 680i

So its a brand of mobo I know of..
so I am looking at this one for my friend.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188027
it matches up with the cpus mhz and socket type..
He would like to upgrade to more than 8 gigs of ram in the future but its unecessary right now.

The video card is also PCI -express and the mobo obviously supports this..

edit 2.0

then I looked more into it.. the video card is PCI-express 2.0
the previous motherboard doesnt list the 2.0

so would I have to maybe purchase a higher model say the (790i)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188028

rockstartrader

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
If you don't know much about building computers, then it might be a better idea to buy a
pre-manufactured Multiple Monitor Computer. I got my Quad screen computer from Multi-Monitors.com.
You should definitely check them out. Here is a link to thier Multi-Screen Computer section:

Multi-Monitor Computer Systems

Also, you should get a nice Triple LCD Multi-Monitor Display.

Another solution is to just get a Matrox Triplehead2Go Multi-Monitor Adapter.

Multiple Monitor Computer Video - For your reference...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_avGStqZOI

slomo4sho

Distinguished

WOW solicit much?

That website is way overpriced, charging $1200 for a rig that will cost around $600-$700 if self built...

br3nd064

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008

Yeah, those are really overpriced...