Suggestions for new 939 motherboard?

raizfi

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
So as far as I can tell, my year-old ASUS A8S-X motherboard just died on me with no warning, no provocation, nothing. Three years before that it was an A8N5X.

Anyway, the point is that I'm poor and can't afford to replace anything besides the motherboard itself, move the processor again, and hope the rest of it starts working, so that means I'm looking at buying a new 939 mobo. My experiences with the A8S-X and A8N5X were less than stellar, so I'm looking to buy something similar, but better. There are a lot available, and I have no idea which to choose.

I've got a PCI express video card and, ideally, I'd like to hook up all three of my SATA drives. With the A8S-X I could only hook up two.

Suggestions?

raizfi

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Thank you, o1die. That was initially a really exciting recommendation, because their boards are damn cheap, and I'll definitely keep an eye on that site in the future.

All they've got listed under 939, though, are three Foxconns, and the reviews I'm finding elsewhere on these boards are really poor concerning stability. I really don't want to have to buy another new board in six months; I'm tired of having them crap out so quickly. Any slightly less unstable suggestions?

You really don't know why your asus board failed. It could have been due to a number of factors, including instability with the power supply, or your bios settings. You may also have a faulty stick of memory. So, I would either sell off your leftover stuff in one of the hardware for sale forums (my favorite is anandtech), or go with one of the 939 boards at geeks.com. The geeks boards were all $19.95 a few days ago, but are still a bargain. Spending more on a board won't guarantee it will last longer. I've used almost all the brands during the last 15 years, and it's a crapshoot as to longevity. I use the Fry's stores nearby for upgrades; I could go with am2 or Intel for around $120 for the board, cpu, and memory.

raizfi

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Er... I think the forum ate my post. I'm not sure.

I just made a few measurements and discovered that my video card won't fit in any of the Foxconn boards on computergeeks.