Comp Building Job questions

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I didn't know which subsection to put this in.

So I'm looking for a job. I'm thinking because I built my computer a couple years ago, that maybe computer assembling would be something I could do for the short term.

Anyways, I'm not familiar with what the job title for someone who puts computers parts together to make a computer is. I'm also not sure how to search for it either I think.

I tried searching computer assembly but had no luck in my area. I also tried looking for computer stores. I was thinking maybe some of the smaller computer stores out there bought hardware from certain retailers and put them together to sell out of their store. Is this true?

I've tried googling Computer stores in my area, but stuff like Best Buy, and other mainstream stores come up. I'm pretty sure they just order their computers already built I think. I don't imagine someone is in the back putting them together for them.

Anyways I think I'd be interested in learning more about hardware and what to look for in building computers while getting paid for it. That way I can apply the knowledge for myself later in life when I need a new computer.

Thanks for your guys help.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I'd say with the advent of building customized systems online from stores like Dell, IBuyPower, and CyberPowerPC (not to mention EBay), business at local "Mom and Pop" stores is limited to a loyal customer base and simple hardware diagnostics/upgrades. I'd think your best bet would be to check your local Yellow Pages/Phone book for Computer Repair shops in your area and check them out in person to see if they may have any openings.

-Wolf sends

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Do you think they would take people with no experience though? I don't think I'd be familiar with repairing pieces of a computer unless I was just switching out parts.

I don't have technical degree or anything.

I guess I had this idea in the back of my mind from visiting smaller computer stores and from a friend when I was younger, who sounded like his father put computers together and sold them at his owned business.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Taking people without experience? Depends on the store and how patient/willing they are to train you. There really isn't much in the way of repairing computer components. It's more just testing a component to see whether or not it needs replacing.

Things you would likely be testing include:
Running Memtest86 for memory
Video Card stress tests for artifacts
Hard Drives for bad sectors
Power supplies for voltage outputs
And probably a fair share of system cleaning (dusting, removing and replacing thermal paste, etc...)

-Wolf sends