Internet became slow a few days ago; unable to fix

GlutusMaximus86

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2004
Alright so this past weekend my internet speeds dropped by quite a bit. To give you an idea before when I would do a speed test (I use www.speedtest.net, if that matters) I would get about 2.8 Mb/s download and .8 Mb/s upload with a ping of about 30-50 ms. Now when I do it I get about 1.0 Mb/s download and .5 Mb/s upload and a ping of about 500 ms. I've tried doing the speed test using different servers and also tried www.speakeasy.net and still get roughly the same results. The one exception to this rule is when I am on www.speedtest.net and I select the server in Greensboro, NC I get a ping of about 40ms, though the download and upload speeds are roughly the same (I'm the western part of VA in the valley; about 45 minutes NW from Charlottesville; again not sure if it matters).

I contacted my ISP (Shentel NTC) and they sent a guy over who after running a few tests told me that it was my machine and not the ISP. None of my roommates are having these issues so I'm inclined to believe him. I also tried plugging a different computer into my wall jack and with that computer I got about 2.7 Mb download and .8 Mb upload with good ping.

I've tried updating all of my system's drivers but that did not help. I've run virus/spyware scans (also did the scans in safe mode as well) but they didn't come up with anything. I used Ad-Aware, NOD 32, Spybot S&D, and Windows Defender to do the scans. I used a program called Pcpitstop optimize that the ISP guy recommended to me and while it is a nifty program it did not fix the problem (I also tried one other one called SpeedUpMyPC). I've tried putting the Ethernet cable both in the onboard Ethernet card and through a little USB-to-Ethernet adapter that I have. Both produce the same results when I run the speed test.

I guess a couple other things I should mention is that I use Windows Vista, am connected to the internet through cable and do not use a router; I'm plugged directly into the wall.

I apologize for this post for being long and wordy, but I just wanted to let you know everything I have to tried to fix this. Thanks in advance for all your help.

seifer_23

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I have the very same problem.Pls if u find the solution send me a mail seifoto@abv.bg I will be very greatful.

seifer_23

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I have the very same problem.Pls if u find the solution send me a mail seifoto@abv.bg I will be very greatful.

seifer_23

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009