Asus PT6 vs EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1

vinnytusaf

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Both board to be seem to be almsot identical with really only two major differences. The Asus Deluxe comes with a O.C palm pilot. The other being that the EVGA Board will work with the memory at 1600 with a CMOS update and i belive the PT6 will work the Memory at 1600 only by overclocking the board. I keep going back and forth between board. The computer is being build for gaming with a slight look at cost.

EVGA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188039

Asus
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131351

The rest of the computer is;
case = antec 1200
memory = corsair xms3 6gb 1600x3
psu = thermaltake 750w
CPU = i7 920
video card = 2x geforce gtx 8800
ssd = ocz 30gb
HD = western digital velociraptor 150g

f0rbez

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
I'm in the same boat. I was originally going to get the EVGA x58 and then saw the benchmarks of the P6T Deluxe. Now the Foxconn Bloodrage is out so I really don't know what to get. :/

BRAISKI

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I am currently on a process of building a new PC I already have everything except the CPU and the mobo :D CPU is not a problem to pick but the mobo is a bit more complicated.

For the past few weeks I have been reading a lot of reviews about Asus and its good but on the review for Newegg, EVGA seems to have more very satisfied customers. One of the reasons I want to get Asus is my past 3 PC have a Asus mobo and never had problems but this time I am afraid... I kinda want to try EVGA... I already have a G.Skill 6GB DDR3 1333 memory so hopefully the EVGA will support it well...

Akebono 98

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
One key difference between these boards is the expansion slot design, which IMO will affect real world use quite a bit. If you're considering these boards (or any 1366 mobo, for that matter), then because of the large investment, make sure you look very closely at the slot design and how you intend to use them.

The eVGA board is capable of tri-SLI with dual slot video cards, while the P6T Deluxe is not. Tri-SLI is the raison de etre of the eVGA mobo. However, once you tri-SLI, then you can't even run a sound card and must use on-board. All of the expansion slot space is taken up when that happens.

If you really want to have room to do tri-SLI, then the better mobo is actually the Asus P6T6 WS Revolution because it has 3 lanes at x16 (the eVGA doesn't--its last lane / bottom slot is at x8). For this reason, I think that it is slightly better than the eVGA. However, it will be a while before running 3 GTX 295s (or 4870x2s) has been fully optimized but hey, it doesn't hurt to plan farther into the future when spending this kind of cash.

Other boards can tri-SLI too, but the third card will hang off the end of the mobo and also cover up some of the bottom edge connectors (e.g. Asus Rampage II Extreme and Gigabyte EX58-UD5).

IMO, the Asus P6T Deluxe is better oriented for real world use in this department. For example, you can run 2 dual slot video cards, with space in-between them for better cooling, and have room for a PCIe sound card as well. The extra space between the video cards is the legacy PCI slot, which can also be used for a RAID controller, wireless network card, etc. Expansion-wise, I think that this is a better setup for real world use.

If you're only going to use 2 video cards max, then I'd go with the P6T Deluxe for its overall expansion flexibility and superior video cooling design over the eVGA. Note that most X58 boards do not have space between the 2 video cards (e.g. Asus Rampage II Extreme and the Gigabyte boards). The eVGA also puts 2 dual slot cards next to each other without extra cooling space when running SLI.

Finally, if you're interested in the P6T Deluxe and are not in a rush, check out the Asus website as they have a P6T Deluxe V2 listed, but it's not yet generally available. This may hint at potential issues with the current "V1".

BRAISKI

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Thanks for the explanation...

Well I doubt that I will be using 3 GPU and not sure if I will even use 2 GPU cause if anything I might be getting the 4870 x2.

My # 1 thing is that the stability and reliability. I have been holding off on buying the P6T that was my fist choice but after seeing the V2 in less than a month after the V1 was released it got me thinking that I should wait for the V2, however there seem to be no ETA for the V2 as of yet. I don't know how long I can hold on. I am so eager to build my system.

I am not too concern with OCing or breaking benchmark scores. I just want a mobo that performs well and again reliable.