alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
im looking at 2 hard drives failing at once, they are Seagate so replacing them isnt much of an option.

they are 1.5tb drives.

i need at least 1.5tb, one Seagate is my boot and its using a little over 100gb, easily stripped to 50-60gb the other uses all but 500gb, i believe thats around 700gb, but i thought it easier to say that way.

i dont have a whole hell of alot of money to spend, but thats why i got the 2 seagates in the first place.

in a worst case scenario, what hard drive should i get, i believe i can afford a 2tb drive, but i want something reliable. i dont want to have to put up will all of this bullshit of worrying if my computer will still work tomarrow.

AtaliaA1

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
There are HDD comparisons on the Homepage here.

Speed, Storage Capacity. Transfer Rates. are matters you will have to decide based on your use and preferances.

Only you can really make that choice for your particular PC usage.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
those all mean nothing to me.
im not looking for the statisticly faster hard drive, im looking for the hard drive that i can trust to not screw up until its lifetime is over.

You can't trust any hard drive, period - sooner or later they'll all fail. That being said, I don't think there's been anything concrete to suggest that one hard drive brand is more problematic than any other.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
well i know they will all fail at some point, but 2 Seagate drives, 1 started messing up at about 4 months, and the other in under 2.

does anyone know the rate of hard drive failure? i don't mean end of life failure, i mean abnormal failure

Lutfij

Titan
electronic devices usually end up being ur best buddies or as annoying as your ex...u'll hear most pl praise a brand while on the other side u'll see some criticize it/ I had seagates a few years back and i know they were the most reliable brand around until they failed on me...lost 120GB of my DSLR pics...shame!

moved to WD and i'm ok, but i know it'll fail soon..someday. Back your data up, that way u wont cuss your HDD when its in the grave

lol - try WD's or maxtor (they were bought-up by seagate) i heard alot of hitachi's crashing+they produce alot of heat...due to having 5platters or somthing

For the most part, sminlal is correct. There are occasionally bad hard drive models (Seagate's 7200.11 is a notable example), but that doesn't mean that the manufacturer is junk. WD has had some bad drives in the past as well, as has any other manufacturer. The 7200.12 series is quite good, as are pretty much all of WDs current offerings.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
so basically there is no single brand i can trust.

if i had the money to spare i would backup, or passably set up a raid 1.

the one thing that is great is that most of the data i stand to lose is documented and i can always get agein

Send them back.....use the warranty.

Since you cannot completely trust any drive, you NEED backup, unless your data is expendable. That applies even if you use RAID, because it's not just DRIVES that can't be trusted, it's a whole host of other things as well.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
there in lise the problem, i will most likely get back the same model drive that i cant trust. is there any way for me to tell which seagate i have, the 7200.11 or 7200.12?

pretty much all data that isnt expendable gets burnt off onto dvds, i was waiting for blu rays to come down in price before i burnt some of the less important things though.

with, lets say a raid 1, which i beleve is more or less an exact coppy between 2 drives, will i see data if i use one outside of a raid? as i believe this is my best solution for my data problems, have 1 drive for boot, and have a second drive just for data, in raid if possible.

my c drive, in the middle of writeing this the first time thre out a
plugandplaymanager event 12
and
ftdisk 57

my f drive throws out
atapi event 9
atapi event 15
disk event 11

im not sure exactly what to do except back up importnat data to both drives and seek seagate help, but i cant send either drive in because it has data on it and even backing it up, there is a chance the other harddrive wont last long.

and if i go for there prefered service, where they send the drive first, i have to pay 20-30$ and if i do that for 2 drives, if the next 2 crap out the same way, i wont have the money for another more trusted hard drive.

im hopeing you understand my problem a bit better now

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
right now im doing a full back up of the important things between the 2 drives,

i put things from the c drive onto the f and now im copying things from the f to the c

in the worst case scenario, i lose data that i forgot i ever had, or new but insignificant amounts of data that is easily re gotten, and in the best, i solve my hard drive problems before i even eed to use a backup.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
ok, im going to continue backing up, but what should i do when its all done?

should i disconnect the f: drive and wait untill i get 2 new ones form seagate? that seams like the best option everything considered, i dont know if the c:\ will hold untill i get help. and i will have all the info on the f:\ drive at my disposle anyway,

im also going to be useing another harddrive for infromation untill i get things settled with the 2 failing ones.