Hardware Monitoring & PWM Broken - CPU Fan Always 100%

depmuts

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
I'm running an Intel D945GTP m/b with a PentiumD 2.8.

I replaced the 400w PSU in my box with a slightly older 350w one cos I needed the new one for something else. Figured it shouldn't be a problem since I'm only using onboard video and mostly external hard drives.

Also while I was there I removed the stock Intel HSF to clean the dust off it and replace the stock thermal glue with Arctic Silver 5.

Problem is now when I boot my system and go into the Hardware Monitoring section in the BIOS all the sensors are disabled. Temp, Fan, Voltage all read nothing and PWM doesn't seem to be working cos my CPU Fan is now running at max rpm all the time. This was all working fine before.

I've installed SpeedFan and Intel Desktop Utility. Both of them CAN read my hardware sensors and show my fan constantly at ~4500 rpm (VERY LOUD!) and my CPU at ~60C. Unfortunately I can't get SpeedFan to regulate my fan speed either.

I've tried enabling/disabling Automatic Fan Control in th BIOS to no effect. And I've also tried updating my BIOS to the latest revision.

Since the sensors can be read from software I suspect the circuitry is fine but the Hardware Monitoring part of my m/b firmware (which probobly control the PWM as well) is somehow trashed.

This has been driving me nuts, any ideas?

depmuts

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
I applied a generous blob to the centre of the CPU assuming it would spread out when pressed down by the heatsink.

Is it possible that too much paste can negatively affect cooling?