Can you run a usb y dvd burner on a usb hub into a notebook?

silverglade

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
hi, i ordered a dvd burner with no power supply-runs off the notebook, and found out that it has a 2 prong "Y usb cord" so i ordered a 4 port usb hub, (no ac on that), and i was wondering can you run a usb y dvd burner on a usb hub into a notebook without problems?any help greatly appreciated thanks. derek

Solution
No you can't. One USB port can't supply enough power to the DVD burner. You will burn the fuse on the USB port if you try that, or the device will simply not work.

You should have ordered a USB Hub with external power. Something from Belkin would probably have that. The USB hub has a small AC adapter for additional power.

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
No you can't. One USB port can't supply enough power to the DVD burner. You will burn the fuse on the USB port if you try that, or the device will simply not work.

You should have ordered a USB Hub with external power. Something from Belkin would probably have that. The USB hub has a small AC adapter for additional power.

Solution
First agree with gracefully in that that is what I would do. But it may well work with the "Y" usb plugged into to 2 usb ports - it doubles the allowable power to the drive.

I have external HDDs and Bluray drive/DVD writer that use a "Y". If memory serves me one still need the "brick". Bricks are hard to blug in while on a plane, so I would try the "Y". If it works, great", BUT I would still use the Powered USB hub when AC is availble.

user 18

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Actually, it depends on the drive. The external drive that I have only needs one of the two prongs to be plugged in to work - depending on how much power the drive draws. Also, at least one drive (that I know of) uses one prong for power and one for data.

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

Thing is, that port is most likely a USB 2.0 port. USB 2.0 can supply more power through a single port than a USB 1.0/1.1 port can. I have a Maxtor external HD, and its cord has two USB plugs: one for power, and another for data. In my laptop and desktop which have USB 2.0 ports, plugging in just one USB header is enough to make the drive work. In an older machine in a relative's house, I need to plug in both.

That leads me to believe that if the DVD burner was released in a time when USB 1.0/1.1 was still common, then it would be bundled with a USB "Y" cable to get enough power to work. If you plug it to a USB 2.0 port, then it might not need both to be plugged in to work. With the advent of USB 3.0, the maximum allowable current was almost doubled from USB 2.0 (900mA compared to 500mA of USB 2.0).

TRENDING THREADS