e8600 or wait for phenom ii 940

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006

You have no idea what your talkin about. :pt1cable:

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
that maximus board is a beast, the CPU is a beast. tough call john. i would hate to tell you do it and then find out the new Phenom's are wicked. right now there is nothing conclusive or credible to indicate how good or bad they are ( we know they will be better than the original but by how much is a leap of blind faith). in the NOW, the 8600 is the best dual core there is, that board is among the best there is. i would probably buy it and at worse sell it for even money if i found out the new Phenoms are all AMD says they are.

G

The laws of physics wont allow water cooling to cool the processor; 1)lower than than the ambient temperature in the room 2)too any temperature lower than the freezing point of water. If thats what you've been told you've been lied too. I also doubt 5Ghz is guaranteed.

To answer your original question it depends on what you're looking for. The e8600 is dual core and the phenom is quad. The 8600 will overclock nicely and handle any game out there. I'm sure the phenom will flex its muscles in applications that are optimized for 4 cores. I would say go for the 8600 because its out now and has well documented performance.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
that and as attractive as the mantra for quads is, most major releases for PC are ports from consoles. they want to get it in a box and sell it asap. they arent going to invest in optimizing it for your quad just because you have one.