xfx 9800gt fan not working

ibreakstuff

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
I picked up a xfx 9800gt but the fan only seems to work before I enter bios.

System info:

xfx 750a mobo
AMD 5600+
Corsair 2G 800Mhz pc6400
Win vista home premium 32 bit

I have hybrid SLI off ( I can't find information on how to use it anyway) and everything works fine when I remove the GPU and use onboard graphics.

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you mean the fan runs at full speed on startup then seems to stop working once the system has booted fully?
If so this is quite normal, most GPU fans run at full speed for a moment, then settle down once the system has booted and the drivers are loaded.
Obviously, you uninstalled to existing onboard graphic drivers, disabled the onboard GPU and installed new drivers for the 9800, right?
To check the fan, use the ATI Catalyst Control Centre (CCC) to verify the fan operation. Or Rivatuner, or GPUZ or...

ibreakstuff

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
I unistalled and reinstalled the drivers, which gave me an error saying that my vista 32 drivers weren't compatible with the vista I was running.

Anyways GPU temp at idle is 70C and fan speed is 30%.

Sounds fine to me, although 70C at idle may be a little high. You might want to check all is well by using ATITOOL`s "scan for artifacts" feature
while GUPZ is also running (google it), to monitor fan speed and GPU temperatures.
Hope the driver issues are now sorted.

ibreakstuff

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
Thanks for the help. I used ATItool to scan for artifacts and found none, and I bumped up the fan speed to 65% and it keeps the GPU around 52C.

It is giving me a little problem on boot up. When I first turn it on the GPU fan will run 100% with no video output for about 30 sec and then I get 8 beeps and then nothing. I have to reset the computer a few times to get it to boot, but after that it runs great.

UPDATE
Just checked out a website. According to them, if you have a AMI BIOS eight beeps means a video memory error, but I would n`t take that as totally accurate for your exact configuration.
However, it does suggest that you`ll need to make a few BIOS changes to disable the onboard graphics and set PCI-E as the primary adapter, which I would strongly suggest you do anyway.
If you have no paper manual, there`s usually one on the CD that came with the MB. If not, then you`ll need to get onto the XFX website to download one. And one last point, XFX support needs you to register and I think you`ll need your MB serial number at least for that (it should be on the MB box or you`ll have to take the side off your PC to read it off a sticker on the MB itself).

ibreakstuff

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
I've been waiting on their tech support to get back to me for a few days. The manual I downloaded from them seems to have been translated by someone who no speaky English so good:

• The LED of HYBRID_LED will gliter if the option of "iGPU and Ext-VGA Selection"
be selected "Both Exist and iGPU" and PCIE2 socket be installed exterend card.

I'll try messing around in the BIOS again and see what I come up with.

baquero22

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
xfx 9800 gt run fans at 100% in every start-up.. then they go to around 30% by default .... you can change all that on the Nvidia control panel and create a profile so when your computer is indle it would run fans at -+30% and 60celcius (running in SLI mode) and running games i did a profile running all fans at around 90%... very very noisy but keep your system very cool and stable.