Corsair 750w PSU dead!

manmods

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I just built a system for a customer, packaged it very well with the styrofoam blocks and packing peanuts as well as cardboard and shipped it. I packaged it immediately after finishing the software install and giving it a few test-boots, making sure it worked fine. When it arrived, the power supply would not deliver any power to the motherboard. It's running on an ASUS Rampage mobo. The mobo LED's should be coming on, but in either switch position no power comes through. She's using the shielded power cord that came with the PSU, she's tried different sockets in her house and even a UPS. Anyone have any ideas? Im praying the shipping didnt knock it out, i'd hate to go through the insurance claim. Thanks,

-ManMods

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
I agree with badge.

I have shipped many, and UPS is rough on stuff.

I've had one that the 24pin came out some how, lol that box was really roughed up.

Alot of them the sata plugs have came out.

And since you used a Asus rampage, I assume you used the q-connector?

They always come off, they dont fit tight at all. I bet anything if you used this connector it felll off and she gets nothing by pressing the power on because its not hooked up.

I hot glue all the connections now, and havent had any more issues.

Usually when we worked and heard the contents of a box shatter or break as we uhhh, 'handled it'. We didn't get excited or anything. We usually just said, "whoops". And left it at that.

manmods

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I had her check the front connectors, theyre all in line and connected securely. Thats the first thing i told her to look for. I just had her whip out a voltage meter, and unless we've got the settings wrong, there isnt a peep out of the thing. Unless anyone on here can think of something i'm not telling her to try, i think it might be dead.

-ManMods

manmods

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Oh, and I didn't use that q-connector. I've had bad expericnes with shipping those, so I know what you mean. The SATA plugs have all been pushed in, she's assured me she's checked every connection she can see. Im inclined to believe her because she's had some experience with PC's before. Also, one of the RAM sticks came loose during shipping, so i know it was roughed up. I made damn sure they were in there, those OCZ reapers arent the kind of chips you want flying around.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
If no lights on the motherboard are on and the PSU fan dont spin I'd say the psu is dead.

If lights are on and the fan turns, its probably something else.

Im not sure a volt meter would read anything if you dont jump the psu with a paperclip. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

Also you can use the paperclip trick to check to see if the fan will spin.