Sign in with
Your question

Help PLEASE! NEw build will not boot

Last response: in Systems
September 16, 2008 9:12:44 PM

Just got all my stuff in from newegg this morning, after putting it all together taking my time, doule checking I powered it up. Bam small it of smoke from possily between cpu and mem area. Very small no flash nothing. I imdeitaly turn down power and looked over the area. even with my doule checking I forgot the 8 pin connector, would this have damaged anything? Now with everything pluged in I still get no post boot nothing, and this is the last time I buy a asus board, all it comes with for diagnostics is 3 diff speaker beeps, awesome cm 690 has no speaker and I have no 4 pin speakers around. I;m so tic'ed I can't even test any of the items ivdidually becuase they are all so new. All my vid cards are agp. Any way to get smore specific when I power up all ligths lite as normal hdd, I hear it or cr-roim spin up. Nothing on video. So I put the dvi cale from one side to the other, now on power up every so often I get a green screen or blue other either flashing or solid and oth have small lack lines vertical. Any help guys? please I cant believe I have a 1K pile of junk in front of me right now. here's my specs.

Thermaltake 750W
visiontek hd 4850
intel Q6600 quad core 2.4
Asus P5Q intelp45
Corisair 2x2gig (4) ddr2 800mhz

More about : build boot

September 16, 2008 10:02:23 PM

Yeah looks like you fried your board. RMA it and say it's defective ^_^. To get a beep code though just take out a case speaker from one of your old computers. You can try just getting any ol small speaker and holding the positive and negative wires to the appropriate pins on your motherboard, but I really don't recommend it :o  . Instead you could splice those positive and negative wires from some other 4 pin connector such as a power on LED from an old case.
September 16, 2008 10:32:37 PM

ok wierd.. I just removed everything gave it a thorough inspection nothing looked burnt, put it all together and this time fired up, bios screen and it's installing windows 64 as we speak, oh another thing though it only saw my hardrive as 569 or something when it's a 650. was I suppose to do anything to the bios to prep it for vista 64?
Related resources
September 16, 2008 11:21:41 PM

merc4now said:
ok wierd.. I just removed everything gave it a thorough inspection nothing looked burnt, put it all together and this time fired up, bios screen and it's installing windows 64 as we speak, oh another thing though it only saw my hardrive as 569 or something when it's a 650. was I suppose to do anything to the bios to prep it for vista 64?

vista 64 isn't really any different from any other version, except that it supports 64 bit. but this is purely on the software side. nothing has to be adjusted. as long as your cpu supports 64-bit (all modern cpu's do) then you're all set. i upgraded from vista 32 to 64 by only formatting my hard drive and installing the new OS.
September 17, 2008 4:56:59 AM

The thing is alot of manufacturers calculate 1GB 1,000,000,000 bytes when in actuality a GB is 1024 megabytes with each megabyte being 1024 kilobytes and each kilobyte being 1024 bytes thus windows things of 1GB as 1,073,741,824 bytes. That small discrepency is why Vista said your Hard Drive was 569 even though the box it came it said it was 650 :lol: 
!