Taking the Leap (first overclock)

wheelieInCali

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Hello all! I've been using the same processor (3.0 GHz P4 dual core) for almost 4 years since I first built my PC. I had to get a new mobo (EVGA XFX nForce 750i SLI) about 7 months ago because the old Intel mobo blew a resister, I love a reason to buy new hardware. So anyway, I'm ready to push my processor and am considering the stress testers out there. I've heard Prime 95 is the way to go but I saw something a while back that really got me interested. Three years ago I was visiting Puerto Rico and I walked in on my friends cousin stress testing his CPU. He was using a program that rendered graphics strictly by CPU and with each level of CPU complexity the graphics would get more and more intense. I want to use that program but I can't seem to find out what the name of it is. Have any of you heard of a program like this or have any advice for a noob overclocker?

Thank you in advance.

wheelieInCali

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

I got an oversized heatsink when I started gaming with my home made system and that kept things pretty cool. I've since added hardware including a stronger graphics card. Since I now keep my computer in the tight lower shelf of my desk I have decided to get a water cooler because the air flow in that tight space is less than optimal. I'm doing research now and have read many tutorials and testimonials on this site. I should be up and running water cooled by Christmas, then I will begin overclocking with Koolance custom external cooling.

ares1214

Splendid