Asus P6T Deluxe V2? What's wrong w original version???

PhxKen

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Any time a company puts out another version, this time V2, it has to KNOW that customers will want the latest and greatest version and yearn to learn what was "fixed" with the previous versions. Thus the common version history verbiage seen with many software updates.

Well, Asus has just let it be known that P6T Deluxe V2 has come into being. You can find it phantom "existence" at its website. But certainly NOT at Newegg or anywhere else! So, while I was all ready to purchase it, I find out this bit of screeching, halting news.

Now I'm dead in my tracks. I'm not about to buy a potentially flawed V1 P6T Deluxe board. Asus & the Tom's gurus need to address V1 flaws... otherwise there was no need for a confusing V2.

It doesn't make sense that they simply dropped the SAS feature support as the only justification to come out with version 2... unless it was seriously flawed and the only problem "problem" to address. Different versions are made to address problems or add features, otherwise its a giant market confuser as to why.

If V2 was absolutely necessary, you would think they would also devise a "cover story" as to why, if they also wanted to escape replacing the thousands of V1 boards. SAS is a little utilized feature... so let's go with that as the "reason"!

Is it safe to buy V1?, cuz I certainly can't find V2 or any availability news on it. WTF?? What's going on Asus????????????????????

chinh_n

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
From what i found out talking to ASUS . the reason why they came out with version 2 is not to fix bugs from version 1. the reason was there was a lot of demands for removal of the SAS controller. i guess many people think SAS support is not needed.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

That surprised me. When is an upgrade really a down-grade? Now it looks as if my plans for an i7 build will have to go with the ws revolution

PhxKen

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
"God I really, really want that new P6T Deluxe V1, all except for that darn added SAS controller also on board that I'll never use! I wish they'd take it off -- then I'd buy it!!" ??? Since when is an added feature a deal-breaker? This is why Asus felt the need to announce a version 2, right on the heals of V1? Not to fix problems? They announce it, but don't make V2 available? Leaving buyers to think V1's are flawed, let's wait till V2 hits? This doesn't pass the smell test. Sales will fall dramatically as news spreads of V2's coming. And V1 is all vendors hawk at the moment.

Well said, croc: "When is an upgrade really a down-grade?"

If Asus people are talking, ask them when will V2 hits the shelves, and the real reason V2 was announced. I thought 15% of buyers giving it the lowest 1 star rating (kinda high?) on Newegg was a yellow flag. But then AnandTech giving it a glowing Gold Editors Award in early December was the green flag imo. It also got 60% of buyers, (kinda low?) for a Gold Editors Award, giving it 5 stars. Teething issues for a new beta platform?

PhxKen

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Well, the V2 was fully listed at Asus' site Monday am, so it returned.

The only place Asus appears to respond is with high profile bottom dwelling 1 star rated reviews that slam Asus products at Newegg. Maybe they'll respond there regarding the V2 and what it fixes. More than 1 in 5 reveiws in the last two weeks, 15% overall, have only given the P6T Deluxe a 1 star. That's rolling the dice with good odds of a dog.

chinh_n

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008

you can't really look at it as an upgrade or downgrade. From what I heard from ASUS, version 2 is added to the x58 chipset to fulfill that segment whose requirement does not have much need for an onboard SAS controller. Hence, it could possibly be priced cheaper. we'll see soon.

BRAISKI

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I am on the same boat where I do not want to buy the V1 since they are releasing a V2 SO SOON! I might just pull the trigger and buy the EVGA X58.

G

Upgrading to V2 for the sake of removing the SAS controller makes absolutely no sense, unless its purely for cost reduction reasons.

I just purchased the V1 - the only reason I am getting this MB is because of the built in SAS controller!! go figure :)

Hopefully if there are any issues with the V1, they are fixable with bios updates...

SteveSAS

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
Here's the question I sent ASUS a couple of days ago...

Is the difference between the P6T Deluxe (V1) and Deluxe V2 release ONLY the lack of
SAS drive support? If so, I'll order the V1 rather than wait for the V2. (The eventual
$20-$30 savings is not that important in the long run.) But I'd hate to find out there are
"FIXES" or other IMPROVEMENTS in the V2 after buying the V1.

And the answer I received today ...

Hello,
The only difference is that the V2 is missing the Marvell SAS controller. Beyond that, the boards are the same.
Regards,
Chris J
Asus Support Team

PhxKen

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
You notice on the Newegg.com reviews where Asus responds to 1 star scathing review, they do not go on record and tell you there what the difference is with the V2's, they request you email them or go to their Asus support site so they can tell you in private ... the only difference is they took off the SAS controller. THEY WON'T GO PUBLIC ON A WEBSITE and actually say that is the only difference. Simply doesn't make sense that they would have taken all this time since V1 roll-out, release a V2, and the "beta" didn't need any fixes or improvements... but instead was used for a down-graded V2.

It's either a big lie or giant stupidity on Asus' part. Future versions are for fixes or improvements! Either way, it reflects badly on the company and should make you think seriously of your alternate choice.

Tom's Hardware boys still sit on their hands, play with liquid Nitrogen, inhale Helium, and don't call Asus to find out what the hell is going on with V2's why's and how comes. When they do eventually mention it, someday, they'll sound like they're reading from an Asus press release. Thanks for the help!

jadamek

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
There is one other small difference between the V1 and V2 boards. The V2 maxes out at twice as much memory as the V1 (24GB). A pre-sales rep. from Asus told me this, and I verified it by looking at the manuals for both boards. The Asus specs page for the P6T Deluxe is MISLEADING, as it states that the max memory is 24GB, whereas in the manual it shows only 12GB in the specs. So, that, to me, is an UPGRADE from V1 to V2! Unless you plan on running more than 12GB in your machine, I don't see any other valid reason for waiting for the V2 to be released.

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Has anyone actually gotten the deluxe to POST?

I have been tring for weeks with no hlep from ASUS!

What other MO from ASUS should I replace it with? You know, one that will actaully POST with 3 sickes of 2 gig mem.

G

Mark, take a good look at your memory. Al 3 should be in the orange-slots. If you put them in the black ones, the system won't boot...

ScaredFreakyGuy

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
We just built three new workstations off of the ASUS P6T Deluxe (v1) and we LOVE them. Mine and the other programmer's workstation have two 15k rpm SAS drives hooked up to the SAS controller in RAID 0 and they FLY. Those 15k drives sound mean! =^)

The only problem we've had is with driver support. With Windows, you will have to use a floppy disk to slip in the SAS controller drivers during Windows setup (XP, 2003, Vista or 2008) and I have not found a Linux distro yet that will recognize the RAID volume (Gentoo, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.).

Otherwise, it's pretty sweet! The OC Palm is really nice (except the Yahoo! widgets really suck on it) and we regularily give each other a hard time about who has the lowest CPU and motherboard temps =^)

The ASUS P6T is just as nice, minus the (OC Palm). I think it's a really nice motherboard and can't recommend it enough.

scrumhalf

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004
From Asus's stand point, I'm sure this lowers their bottom line when it comes to manufacturing costs as well. After reading through both product manuals, there is no other discernible difference. My only concern is that the don't ignore the V1 when it comes to BIOS updates.

caddzooks

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009

I think you've been sold a bill of goods.

What 'demand' is there for removal of SAS ports, that are backward-compatible with SATA (you can plug SATA devices into them).

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

MarkInSD

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
I have had two P6T deluxe V1 boards, and both were sweet when they worked. I used to be a religious ASUS consumer.

One I *thought* I killed overclocking. Being an honest guy I went out and bought a second figuring it was my fault.

Three days after I built the new one it just refused to boot. I didn't do anything evil to the board voltage/overclock wise, just set it up and ran it. I got ahold of ASUS on chat and they suggest some testing.

When I pulled the CPU out of the socket I noticed *SCORCH MARKS* on the bottom of the cpu. THey were not there when I put the CPU in the replacement board. WTF??

While doing the testing, I heard a popping/sizzling noise and a bad smelling smoke came off the board. I RMA'd it and am in the process of waiting for the replacement.

On the side of ASUS is the fact they *are* honoring the warranty and sending me a new board.

It bothered me enough to do a bunch of web crawling looking for other people with problems where the board worked for a few hours/days and then stopped. Not surprisingly.. I wasn't the only one.

I'm sitting here wondering if the first board burned up on it's own or if I really did kill it. Did Asus sucker me out of $600 bucks?

My 920 is sitting in a Gigabyte EX58 right now. Wonder if I'll rebuild with the P6T when it comes back in another week from it's two week ASUS vacation.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
i have built 4 brands of x58 each has the same no boot issues - luck of the draw

asus is still the best, gigabyte second - evga is great for sli but there mobos fail a lot. mine did not boot - since newegg would not refund the money i wrote a nasty review

bottom line is there seems to be random porblems with louck ups with the x58 - teething issues

haysdb

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
The V2 board is starting to appear. I have found it on sites in Australia, the UK, and Canada as "in stock." I contacted a U.S. company today who said "second week of February."

haysdb

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Yes, I understand customers have been clamoring for that. :sarcastic:

I doubt we will ever know precisely WHY Asus have chosen to release a rev 2 of this board so soon.

WebMaximus

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
What about mem speeds?

I think I read somewhere that the v1 board will only allow up to 1600MHz RAM where the v2 supports up to 2000MHz...?

stonie_rocks

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I agree with Caddzooks. Asus already has almost the same board without SAS. Yeah, it's called the P6T (no deluxe). Anyone else find that strange?

What about mem speeds?

I think I read somewhere that the v1 board will only allow up to 1600MHz RAM where the v2 supports up to 2000MHz...?

[strike]Ok, so the v2 supports 24gb. I guess that's enough reason to make a v2[/strike]. I just checked Asus' website (when it decides to load) and both the v1 and v2 say 24gb. Also both say up to DDR3-2000. So no memory differences.

Asus is getting weird lately though. Slow website, very bad customer service, poorly written manuals, slow BIOS updates.

Oh well, I guess all the major mobo brands are about the same. Hit or miss, eh?

jfreeman

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
P6T Deluxe V2 is available now on Newegg.....purchased one to replace my defective P6T Deluxe v1 that I RMA'd.

Wanted to try a EVGA board based on good feedback on their customer service, but my new Noctua cooler won't fit their X58 boards....

The below item(s) has come in stock as of 02/24/2009 and we are sending you this notification per your request. Auto-Notify is one of many conveniences we provide at Newegg.com, but please note that we cannot guarantee price or availability.

Auto-Notify List:

(N82E16813131365) ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$289.99

John.