Quad Core with Different Multipliers

xnem3s1sx

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I just got a Core 2 Quad Q9400, to replace my old q6600, (swapped with a friend and paid the difference) and the first thing I noticed was that, although the temps were lower (CoreTemp) the third core was stuck at 35 degrees. It went up if the other cores went above 35, but never below. I wasn't really concerned about it, until I went to Everest Ultimate 4.60 and opened the CPUID. It tells me that the first 2 cores are at 2.66 GHz, and 8x multiplier, but the second 2 are on a 6x Multiplier. I went to the BIOS and made sure that it was set at 8x, it was, so I changed it from auto to manual, with the same settings. But I'm still reading a 6x multiplier.
So I have to ask, is this even possible? I know that the C2Q's are really 2 dual cores on one chip, but I thought that the multiplier applied to all the cores. Is there anything I can do to test this?

soark

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Yes it does..click with the right button of the mouse anywhere in the CPU Tab and you can choose the core to view the information. You can also launch several CPU-Z and use one for each core.

Hope this helps but i have a Q6600 and i don't believe that the multipliers can be different among the cores.. the temperature thing is the same that exists in a large number of 45nm quad cores,cant really do anything I think, guide the temps from the other cores ;)

GL

bobwya

May 21, 2005
If you have Speedstep 2 enabled in the BIOS then it is most likely that one (dual-core) die is being dropped down to the lowest possible multiplier (6x) with your system processes shunted to the other die. If you disable (all!!) the obscure speedstep (4 letter acronyms) settings in the BIOS your cores should stay at the 8x multiplier.

Bob

xnem3s1sx

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Used CPU-z and it says the same thing, as for the speed step, I thought so too, but It never goes to 8, regardless of what program I am running.

bobwya

May 21, 2005

Even if you manually assign a CPU bound process to one of those 2 "idle" cores?

Bob

bobwya

May 21, 2005
OK thats fair enough.

■ Did you clear the BIOS after installing the new CPU?
■ Have you an updated your MB BIOS to the newest version?
■ Is the matter a software bug in CPUz (e.g. reading the clocks on dual-die Wolfie)?
Does a CPU bound process that will run in the CPU cache actually take longer on the "supposedly" lower clocked cores?? (Thinking SuperPI here perhaps)

Bob

xnem3s1sx

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Yes, i have updated the BIOS. What do you mean by clear though? I reset to the optimized (I have an MSI P7N Platinum) And i thought about testing whether or not it actually takes any longer, but what program would I use to check that, it would need to be single core.

bobwya

May 21, 2005

You clear the BIOS by taking out the 3V round lithium battery mounted on the MB and turning off the PSU. Then replace the battery and switch on. You can also do this by farting around with CMOS clear jumpers but this is a bit of a pain in the ass...
Some motherboards have a clear CMOS button which is handy (I think you press them with the PSU off to interrupt the power connection from the CMOS backup battery).

I suggested a program already: SuperPI (it is single threaded). Just run it with a small data-set and then run it again. Take the second result (so that it will be fully contained within the CPU cache). Run this on each core one at a time with background **** turned off. Process Explorer is handy for suspending or kill off "deadwood" processes vs the crap builtin task manager:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Bob

xnem3s1sx

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Ok, I cleared the BIOS, and tested the actual speed, but the 2 cores are still at 6x. My guess is its probably just a bad proc. I'm gonna email Intel, but if anyone knows something else, it would be much appreciated.

jas69

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Did you find the problem xNEM3S1Sx.
I have the same problem with my Q9550. I've got 1 core @ 8.5 multiplier, 1 @ 8.0 & 2 @ 6.0 as cpuz is showing. Thats with everything disabled. Even under 3dmark cpu test, the multipliers wont scale up.

zforce67

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009

I too am having the same problem with my q9550. 2 cores at 8.5 whilst the other 2 cores are at 6 with a steady temp of 43c(barely ever goes up or down).

I've tried everything.

Anything?

bobwya

May 21, 2005
+1 It's like these guys don't actually want any help!!

Has any of you guys solved the problem... Even if this included an RMA replacement!! That could indicate a fault in a batch of Q9550 CPUs perhaps??!!

Bob

zforce67

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Hi,

Here is a screenshot of the first(and second core:

The next is the problem screenshot with the 3rd(and 4th core):

My board is an Asus P5W DH Deluxe, originaly configured for 1066/800 FSB, the new bios are suppose to support 1333fsb in an overclocked manner. Without any tinkering on my part the board automatically configures/overclocks to the CPU's original cinfig of 2.83/1333, yet even then the 3rd and 4th core/s multipliers are set to 6.

Hope this helps.

(Corrected Photos)

zforce67

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Indeed, it doesn't make sense, the most the board would theoritically allow for the FSB is 500MHz. But the thing that gets me is the fact that the two cores(3/4) temperatures are stuck at 43c(on every temp utility). Obviously there is an issue, but what it is I just don't know.

Though I will checkout 3dmark and get back to you.

Thanks

bobwya

May 21, 2005
If you had posted those screenies last year we could have cleared this up then!! This is (as stated already) just a software bug (in Everest). You can't have a 532 Mhz FSB for one die and 375Mhz FSB for the other!! Come on that is common sense surely!!

Got any objections to CPUz??

Bob

zforce67

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009

I wasn't here last year, but anyways, its not just an issue with "Everest", as the temperatures of cores 3 and 4 suggest. CPUz and all other utilitys for some reason or another don't show cores 3 and 4, basically it is locked on 1 core, thus the reason we don't have a screenshot of cores 3 and/or 4 using CPUz or an other utility.

Though, all utilities present the temperature and its always the same for cores 3 and 4, a steady 43c-again, no matter the utility.

Thanks

zforce67

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Here is a screenshot with various utilities:

Interesting thing here is, PC wizard shows cores 3 and 4 to be running at a slower FSB.

Odd.