Regaining access to recovery partition

ARaptorRising

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
I've got a Compaq Presario computer, Windows XP Media Center Edition. It's worked well for me for the past five years I've had it. However, I want to do something that I have never actually needed [thanks to pure luck]: Make a complete copy of my recovery partition on a double layer DVD.

A few years ago, when I would go into the recovery partition [My D: drive] it would give me a warning screen, then let me pass and view all my files. Now, I just get a compaq window pop up warning me about editing files, and then I can go no further. Even if I step around that warning and "explore" the archive I still only see the recovery folder.

I used winrar to walk up the directories to My Computer, then I was able to go to the recovery partition and view all files. I found that the Recovery folder is nothing more than a shield, and it hides all its files to the normal Windows Explorer browser. Likewise for the actual recovery data, which is hidden by a similar group of files.

I've got the compaq logo [Warning.bmp], what looks like a window creator [protect.ed], what looks like another window creator [folder.htt], and a script that points to the first window creator [desktop.ini.]

I want to be able to unlock access to all recovery files so that I can copy them to a DVD. It looks like the files I listed are involved, both in the partition root[?] itself, and in the Recovery folder. I am not a programmer, and I do not know where the switches are [in the files listed] that I can toggle, nor how I would toggle them.

If I missed any information at all, let me know and I will clarify. Any and all information on this subject is of course greatly appreciated!

Solution
I am not certain what they are doing to hide the partition. If it exist, it can be found.

It may be a group policy thing, or just Windows "SuperHidden" attributes.

To check if it is an attribute thing do what you see I told someone else by clicking
HERE.
I am not certain what they are doing to hide the partition. If it exist, it can be found.

It may be a group policy thing, or just Windows "SuperHidden" attributes.

To check if it is an attribute thing do what you see I told someone else by clicking
HERE.

Solution