Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Here is my system:
Asus P5E3 Premium wifi,
E8600 4.4 Ghz,
4 gigs ram,
2x 4870x2 (quad crossfire),
Vista 64 bit.

I play at 2560x1600 resolution. Used both catalyst 8.9 and 8.10 beta.

Several games (Mass effect, Sacred 2 demo) give me the same problem. I get very high framerates, but every other second, I get jerky/choppy peformance. For example in both mass effect and sacred 2, whenever I move the character forward, I get smooth movement and next second I get a jerky/choppy effect. It is sort of like a hiccup. LIke for a second everything moves backwards and then forwards.

For both mass effect and sacred I am playing at max settings with 4axx. WHen I disable aa, the effect is ALOT less noticeable. The thing is I just read a performance analysis of sacred 2 done at legion hardware and they get about 120 fps with max settings AND 4xaa with a single 4870x2. I get choppy performance at SAME settings with 2x 4870x2! I asked them and they said they get perfectly smooth gameplay.

Other games like Grid, assassin's creed are perfect no problems perfectly smooth at highest settings and 8xaa.

Is this an issue with quad crossfire? Anyone know what is up? At first I thought this is microstuttering but that isn't a problem unless you have low framerates, which isn't the case for me.

When u dont have problems with games like Gird and AC,then the cards dont have a problem,u may want to disable AA which u said it gave u better performance and also enbale V-sync and see what will happen.
Also u may want to take out one of your cards and test those games and see u will get better/worse experience.

monsta

Splendid
Try and check your temps with riva tuner for each gpu and turn the fan speed up to full for both cards and then launch the game just to see if theres any difference, could be a temperature problem thats hindering the performance.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Have you checked the RAM settings? Are they optimized? Overclocked? I also suggest checking your hard drive's DMA settings if they're enabled.

zubovsergei

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Hey thanks for the responses. The temps are fine on videocards, I am running fans at 75% for games and they don't get above 75 degrees. I am also using a 1200 watt power supply.

I am running two 300 gig velociraptors in raid 0, but don't know about the DMA settings. I will check in bios I can't find them in windows.

Here is the ram I have using:

OCZ, 4GB (2 x 2GB) Platinum EB Edition PC3-16000 DDR3 2000MHz CL (9-8-8-30) 1.8-1.85V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC

I am using 440 mhz for the FSB and dram frequency at 880. I think I changed some of the ram timings when I underclocked the ram. I will set them back to what they were.

zubovsergei

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Well I disabled catalyst AI, and I get low framerates (2560x1600 max settings) BUT I do not get this jerkiness. Makes me think this is definitely a crossfire issue. Might be just issue with quad crossfire and not dual crossfire.