a quick question from a starwars fan

ok ive never played a mmorpg before but to be honest with this being star
wars im interested.
everquest doesnt interest me at all.so is this for me,i loved kotor.i know
this is nothing like that .
my biggest concern is my comp,1200 mhz amd,32med ati vid card,256 meds and
ddr memory.
cable modem................is this enough to play?????
secondly is this game worth 15 a month?????????
one other thing is this anything like morrowind??????????me and my son loved
that.......
9 answers Last reply
More about quick question starwars
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    "Nite Shift" <niteshift29c@cox.net> wrote in message
    > ok ive never played a mmorpg before but to be honest with this being star
    > wars im interested.
    > everquest doesnt interest me at all.so is this for me,i loved kotor.i know
    > this is nothing like that .
    > my biggest concern is my comp,1200 mhz amd,32med ati vid card,256 meds and
    > ddr memory.
    > cable modem................is this enough to play?????
    > secondly is this game worth 15 a month?????????
    > one other thing is this anything like morrowind??????????me and my son
    loved
    > that.......

    Your comp will blow up if you try to play this game.

    1.) I have 1800 MHz, 128 MB GeForce, 1 gig DDR ram and I have to turn my
    graphic settings all the way down to get a decent playable framerate in the
    more populated areas.

    2.) Yeah, if you can look beyond the problems in the game. I pay $45 a
    month to play (3 accounts).

    3.) Never played Morrowind.

    Now my question for you.... is your '?' key stuck?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    Nite Shift wrote:
    > ok ive never played a mmorpg before but to be honest with this being star
    > wars im interested.
    > everquest doesnt interest me at all.so is this for me,i loved kotor.i know
    > this is nothing like that .
    > my biggest concern is my comp,1200 mhz amd,32med ati vid card,256 meds and
    > ddr memory.
    > cable modem................is this enough to play?????
    > secondly is this game worth 15 a month?????????
    > one other thing is this anything like morrowind??????????me and my son loved
    > that.......

    That's low to play this game. It's a hog.

    I think the game is worth $15 a month, but that's opinion, not fact.

    The game is a single character running around like Morrowind, and
    equally as open-ended. Fighting is auto-fight. You only need to tell the
    game what target and any special attacks. Otherwise, your character just
    fights.

    That much said, the game is nothing like Morrowind. The pacing is
    entirely different. The combat is diffent. The challenges are different.

    I've been playing it since July 2003, but I've drifted away a few times.
    The game requires you to invent much of your play experience, so when
    you get tired of it, it seems dull, but when you get an idea, it gets
    interesting again.

    CH
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    "Nite Shift" <niteshift29c@cox.net> wrote in message
    > ok ive never played a mmorpg before but to be honest with this being star
    > wars im interested.

    Sorry to tell you.. SWG is far from anything resembling Star Wars aside from
    the same name cities and static non moving NPC's named Darth vader, Luke,
    and Han Solo whom you only INTERACT WITH ONCE when you do a theme park
    mission.

    You want a Star Wars experience go play Knights of the Old Republic or
    something.

    SWG has strengths on its own, but don't waste your money if you think you
    will get anything close to a Star Wars experience.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    On 08 Dec 2004, you wrote in alt.games.starwarsgalaxies:

    > ok ive never played a mmorpg before but to be honest with this being
    > star wars im interested.
    > everquest doesnt interest me at all.so is this for me,i loved kotor.i
    > know this is nothing like that .
    > my biggest concern is my comp,1200 mhz amd,32med ati vid card,256 meds
    > and ddr memory.
    > cable modem................is this enough to play?????
    > secondly is this game worth 15 a month?????????
    > one other thing is this anything like morrowind??????????me and my son
    > loved that.......

    My wife and I both play SWG and love it. Right now we're taking a hiatus
    because SWG is working on a very large combat-system change called the
    "Combat Upgrade". This is a major re-work of combat skills, weapons,
    professions, etc. and is in the Alpha (1st of 3) stages at the moment.
    It should be complete by March 2005. We intend to return then.

    My wife and I have played since Launch and have loved every minute of it.
    While this game is NOT like playing KOTOR or JK in the sense that there
    is no "scripted" storyline that you're working through, there is plenty
    of Star Wars to go around, especially now that Jump to Lightspeed
    Expansion has shipped.

    This is an MMORPG but most of the players you'll hear from leave off the
    RPG part. It's up to you to immerse yourself in a character when playing
    the game. You can be as immersive or non-immersive as you like. But
    I've never seen a game that allows you so much customization of
    characters, clothing, looks, gestures, chat styles, etc. It's really
    quite a wonder that most people just take for granted. There are
    literally almost a hundred emotes (emotional chat gestures) that your
    character can do.

    Personally, I really enjoy the game. If you enjoy Star Wars and are up
    to a little role-playing and don't need a "script" to have fun, then
    you'll enjoy this.

    Just be aware, that you will be dealing with the public. And as such,
    there are jerks and potty-mouths a plenty just as in real-life. But
    there are just as many wonderful people to meet and interact with, both
    RP and not.

    I say give it a shot if you want. Pick up the game (don't worry about
    JTL unless you like your first month). The first month is free with the
    game so give it a try and see if you like it.

    Brandon
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    "Nite Shift" <niteshift29c@cox.net> wrote in

    > ok ive never played a mmorpg before but to be honest with this being
    > star wars im interested.
    > everquest doesnt interest me at all.so is this for me,i loved kotor.i
    > know this is nothing like that .
    > my biggest concern is my comp,1200 mhz amd,32med ati vid card,256 meds
    > and ddr memory.
    > cable modem................is this enough to play?????
    > secondly is this game worth 15 a month?????????
    > one other thing is this anything like morrowind??????????me and my son
    > loved that.......

    Your machine may need to be upgraded. Mainly it would be your memory and
    video card. I know others who play with a 1Ghz PC. It's not the best,
    but it's enjoyable. There may be a 1-3 minute wait though when you're
    traveling between planets.

    I would recommend getting another 256 MB of RAM (shouldn't be more than
    $50) and try to find a 64MB video card. Be aware that the Chipset on
    your video card is VERY important so check the SWG official website at
    www.starwarsgalaxies.com and see if you can find the list of compatible
    video cards. Make sure your new one is on it. But you don't have to
    spend $100 or more on a video card. A GeForce4 would do very nicely (I
    play with a GeForce4 Ti4200 64MB and am very pleased with an AMD 2Ghz).

    Anyway, drop about $100 to upgrade your system with a better video card
    and more RAM and you should have a decent time. Don't let people scare
    you by saying they have to turn down their graphics. The graphics was
    designed to have a 5-year lifespan. So no one that I am aware of can
    turn everything all the way up and still keep a 30 fps framerate. They
    purposely built the graphics to be VERY complex to make up for video
    cards getting better each year.

    I don't know if this post made it to you or not, so I'm going to include
    it on the bottom of this one.

    Brandon

    ==============================

[...]

  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    "Brandon I.T." <Brandon_IT@(HAWT)mail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > characters, clothing, looks, gestures, chat styles, etc. It's really
    > quite a wonder that most people just take for granted. There are
    > literally almost a hundred emotes (emotional chat gestures) that your
    > character can do.
    >
    > Personally, I really enjoy the game. If you enjoy Star Wars and are up
    > to a little role-playing and don't need a "script" to have fun, then
    > you'll enjoy this.
    >
    > Just be aware, that you will be dealing with the public. And as such,
    > there are jerks and potty-mouths a plenty just as in real-life. But
    > there are just as many wonderful people to meet and interact with, both
    > RP and not.
    >
    > I say give it a shot if you want. Pick up the game (don't worry about
    > JTL unless you like your first month). The first month is free with the
    > game so give it a try and see if you like it.
    thanks to everyone who replied.you have given me a reason to upgrade my
    system now.
    it sounds interesting.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    I agree about the vid card and the ram . I run a Thunderbird 1.1 CPU and it
    works just fine so the CPU shouldn't be an issue. I also recommend a minimum
    of 512Mb RAM and at least a 64Mb card. Frankly, if cost is a factor, you can
    use an older ATI Radeon series like I do and have little or no performance
    issues. I average about 16 to 20 FPS but since I'm a hotkey and macro
    player, I see very little issue with this.

    My specs are
    1.1 AMD Thunderbird
    512Mb PC2700 DDR SDRAM
    Radeon 7200 64Mb

    --
    Obitrotzu Ossko
    Teras Kasi Master / Novice Swordsman (yup, changed again)

> [...]
    >> character can do.
    >>
    >> Personally, I really enjoy the game. If you enjoy Star Wars and are up
    >> to a little role-playing and don't need a "script" to have fun, then
    >> you'll enjoy this.
    >>
    >> Just be aware, that you will be dealing with the public. And as such,
    >> there are jerks and potty-mouths a plenty just as in real-life. But
    >> there are just as many wonderful people to meet and interact with, both
    >> RP and not.
    >>
    >> I say give it a shot if you want. Pick up the game (don't worry about
    >> JTL unless you like your first month). The first month is free with the
    >> game so give it a try and see if you like it.
    >>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > thanks to everyone who replied.you have given me a reason to upgrade my

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    > On 08 Dec 2004, you wrote in alt.games.starwarsgalaxies:
    >
    > > ok ive never played a mmorpg before but to be honest with this being
    > > star wars im interested.
    > > everquest doesnt interest me at all.so is this for me,i loved kotor.i
    > > know this is nothing like that .
    > > my biggest concern is my comp,1200 mhz amd,32med ati vid card,256 meds
    > > and ddr memory.
    > > cable modem................is this enough to play?????
    >
    > I say give it a shot if you want. Pick up the game (don't worry about
    > JTL unless you like your first month). The first month is free with the
    > game so give it a try and see if you like it.

    As others have said, you will need to upgrade your video card. When JTL
    came out, it required DirectX 9.0c; however, the word is out that the game
    as a whole will be going to that version. So you need a card that can
    handle DX9.

    If you do like the game, then GO GET JTL! Even if you don't like space
    combat, having a ship of your own to travel around will save you a mint in
    shuttle tickets.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    -First off your computer will not be able to play the game as the game is a
    hog. You will certainly need 512 (preferably 1 gig) of RAM, and a the best
    video card you can get you hands on; like 256Megs as well.

    - Is $15 a month worth it ? That's relative. There's some sick people out
    there who need 3 or more accounts to play. I played for a year and was
    relieved to leave and not have to pay $15. My son plays American Army
    online for free and we have plenty of other computer games we enjoy without
    having to pay continually. My opinion is - NO, it ain't worth it; it's
    really not that great of a game and you'll more than likely get bored of it
    after you've played it a bit. You discover that yourself. Save the hastle
    and $15. You will also soon discover the game is very UNBALANCED the
    powerplayers (with many accounts) get all the benefits of using their
    multiple accounts and cross-server trades, lots etc.... You'll never get as
    rich as them or get the best weapons/armor
    - Yes, it's somewhat like Morrowind but more immersed in 3D.
    - Although it has the Star Wars name, there's very little Star Wars about
    it. Personally, I don't like having to create my own content and finding
    things that keep me interested. JTL, was a way to give it more Star
    Wars'ie...but it's missing the most important ingredient: CONTENT.

    "Nite Shift" <niteshift29c@cox.net> wrote in message
    > ok ive never played a mmorpg before but to be honest with this being star
    > wars im interested.
    > everquest doesnt interest me at all.so is this for me,i loved kotor.i know
    > this is nothing like that .
    > my biggest concern is my comp,1200 mhz amd,32med ati vid card,256 meds and
    > ddr memory.
    > cable modem................is this enough to play?????
    > secondly is this game worth 15 a month?????????
    > one other thing is this anything like morrowind??????????me and my son
    > loved that.......

Games Video Games