M4a78-em unlocking cores

Nilkanth

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Hi,
I am Nilkanth
I have M4A78-EM MotherBoard and phenom ii x2 550 be processor
i want to know that how to unlock core and making it quad core.
Please help me for that.

Well, it is supposed to be as simple as enabling ACC in the BIOS. However there is no guarantee this will unlock anything.

These processors have the additional cores shutdown for a reason. Its possible that even if you are able to unlock a 3rd or forth core, it would lead to system instability and maybe even damage your processor.

I have heard that people who cannot unlock the cores initially have had success by enabling ACC on one core at a time. For example, it may be possible to unlock core 2, but not core 3. That would be the best advice I can give you, try to unlock one core, then the other.

tyler123

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
i dont think the M4A78-EM can unlock cores because it uses the SB700 chip, the M4A78-EM/1394a uses SB710 and can unlock cores i think, i've been looking for a cheap mobo myself as i'm expecting my phenom II X2 550 in the post tommorow and cant wait to try and unlock those extra cores.

If im wrong on the above someone please correct me, im from the land of playstation 3's and havent had a decent pc since the ATI9800pro was an awsome gpu.