Sign in with
Your question

Help with partitioning/formating 2nd HDD

Last response: in Storage
February 19, 2010 1:15:31 PM

leaving in a bit to get a 2nd HDD to store all my games/movies/music/files on so that my primary drive can be used just for Windows XP, i just plug the 2nd hdd into my 2nd sata port and plug the power cable into the HDD and it works? or do i need to format it or what? also for my video card drivers/sound card drivers and that type of stuff, do i download/install them to my 2nd HDD or on my 1st HDD? not sure which files go on which HDD. if anyone can help thanks
February 19, 2010 3:03:29 PM

aspec said:
i just plug the 2nd hdd into my 2nd sata port and plug the power cable into the HDD and it works? or do i need to format it or what? also for my video card drivers/sound card drivers and that type of stuff, do i download/install them to my 2nd HDD or on my 1st HDD? not sure which files go on which HDD. if anyone can help thanks

Yes just plug the NEW 2nd HDD to the extra SATA port. Plug the Power to the NEW HDD.

Just let windows startup normally after plugin the NEW 2nd HDD. Windows will auto install HDD driver. Let that run & u may need to restart windows.

Once ok. U need to initialize and format the NEW 2nd HDD.

> RIGHT CLICK My Computer > Manage > Storage - Disk Management > Select your NEW HDD > RIGHT CLICK to Initialize then Format.

If you are NOT formating your original Windows XP Hdd and reinstalling Windows, don't worry about installing video card drivers/sound card drivers.
February 19, 2010 8:49:05 PM

i will be reformating windows xp after i copy my files/media to the 2nd HDD so itll be a clean install and the files will be gone. after i reformat which drive do the video/sound card and stuff go on?
Related resources
a c 105 G Storage
February 19, 2010 9:04:18 PM

All drivers should be on same drive as the OS.
February 20, 2010 12:57:57 AM

ok, thanks
February 20, 2010 3:14:09 AM

got the 2nd HDD installed and it shows up in disk management as 698gb & unallocated. how do i do the partitioning? i've never done it before.
February 20, 2010 3:18:43 AM

forgot to add that the 750gb HDD will be used for my games/music/movies and stuff like that. i have a 250gb HDD i wanna use just for windows XP/gpu drivers and that stuff. i need to reformat it after i get my media files and stuff backed up on my 2nd HDD.
!