Sign in with
Your question

Is 3DMark 06 good for a burn in program?

Last response: in Systems
September 17, 2008 11:24:15 AM

Ok, unlike others I am not :non:  benchmarking my computer. I just want to burn in my computer. I have faced numerous problems without burning in my computer in the past :( 

My Comp Specs:
C2D E7200
2*1 GB RAM DDR 2 800
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3
Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 4850 (I think it includes 3DMark06)
Win Vista Home Premium

So my question is:
Can 3DMark 06 stress my computer at maximum despite 3DMark06 age?
Or should I choose 3DMark Vantage?

I would personally stick with 3DMark 06 because this ain't a benchmark, its a program I will use for burnning in.

EDIT: What program would you use for burning in your computer once you set it up just after you assemble the computer???
Anonymous
September 17, 2008 11:38:06 AM

if you want to burn in... don't really get what you mean here... but if you want to stress your computer... your best bet is running prime 95 in the background (2.5 or later though for multi core support) and 3dmark06 loop... I doubt you have the full version though so instead of that you could run a blend test, or large fft test in prime and then run furmark

2 very hard programs on system components
September 17, 2008 12:40:35 PM

3D mark doesn't stress your system at 100%. Prime 95 would be the best. Also, if you REALLY want to burn you pc try some gasoline and a blowtorch...
Related resources
September 17, 2008 12:45:20 PM

Burn in= stressing computer. no need using gasoline, etc. for burning up.LOL
September 18, 2008 2:43:09 AM

Hello? No response?
September 18, 2008 11:08:34 AM

Quote:
if you want to burn in... don't really get what you mean here... but if you want to stress your computer... your best bet is running prime 95 in the background (2.5 or later though for multi core support) and 3dmark06 loop... I doubt you have the full version though so instead of that you could run a blend test, or large fft test in prime and then run furmark

2 very hard programs on system components

Ok thanks but I didn't fully understand you. Large fft? I bet those are the settings? Rite?(no need real reply) I missed the furmark part.

dagger said:
Prime95 for cpu stress:
http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103
Default settings, small fft.

Furmark for gpu stress:
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
Stress mode, default resolution, no aa.

Run both at the same time.

Basically the same response like the previous person but you gave me links! thanx a LOT! They are even the latest version. You even recommended the settings!

Wait a sec, a google search told me that furmark kills every 4850/4870. So ATi released a driver fix(8.8) that just limits the card when the furmark test starts (can be proved when renaming the furmark executable file). So any substitute burn in program (stress) the GPU?
September 18, 2008 1:16:51 PM

Lol, you're right... interesting. :na: 

Although it looks like it doesn't happen when the gpu is underclocked. Running too hot? :p 

Anyway, here's another one. It doesn't stress as heavily as Furmark, but I'm guessing that's probably a good thing.
http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/
September 20, 2008 2:14:02 AM

Thanks dagger, one last question (I hope) how long should I run the programs and what settings should I choose?
September 20, 2008 2:27:21 AM

shithead said:
Thanks dagger, one last question (I hope) how long should I run the programs and what settings should I choose?

Prime95 is already mentioned. Small fft. Not sure with rthdribl. Although you should probably turn off AA, as it stress vram and tends to drag down core.
September 20, 2008 3:07:07 AM

dagger said:
Prime95 is already mentioned. Small fft. Not sure with rthdribl. Although you should probably turn off AA, as it stress vram and tends to drag down core.

Sorry accidentally voted you bad. Missed the quote button.
Now this is a newcomer burn in program from which is named intelburnintest v1.6.

LINK: http://downloads.guru3d.com/IntelBurnTest-v1.6-download...

It looks as if it is better than prime95.
September 20, 2008 3:11:51 AM

shithead said:
Sorry accidentally voted you bad. Missed the quote button.
Now this is a newcomer burn in program from which is named intelburnintest v1.6.

LINK: http://downloads.guru3d.com/IntelBurnTest-v1.6-download...

It looks as if it is better than prime95.

I have no idea. It just came out this month. Looks interesting though, will try it out tomorrow. It's getting late today. :p 
September 20, 2008 4:03:34 AM

Thanks Dagger report your findings with that program (I mean tell me how it is? good? bad? not bad? better than prime95?) I noticed while running intelburnintest v1.6 on my P4, it only eats up 50-85% but CPU but temps go high like 58-60C within 10 mins just like Prime95. Meanwhile, Prime95 eats up 100% CPU but reaches 58C within 10 mins. I didn't want to burn in my P4 rig completely because I got a good feeling it will fail soon.
September 20, 2008 1:58:29 PM

Hmm... it gives the "This program has stopped responding message" immediately, before even starting to stress. Maybe it's my os? And for some reason, it says it needs to use 6+gb of my 8gb of ram for full cpu stress. How does that work? :p 
September 21, 2008 12:01:57 PM

Dagger, I have no idea your rig had problems. My P4 rig is like this:

Pentium 4 Socket 478 HT 3.0 Ghz
1 GB DDR-400 RAM
ATi Radeon X1650 Pro AGP
MSI PM8M-V (via chipset)
450 Watt PSU (generic)
Vista & XP x86 (32-bit)

Btw, it worked flawlessly on my aging rig.
Boy, the truth is I'm helping a friend to build a new rig with the specs on the first post.
Back to topic, IntelBurnInTest v1.6 supposed to work flawlessly with 64-bit (I'm assuming it by your sig that your using 64-bit OS). Heck IntelBurnInTest even says you need 64-bit to make the program use more than 2GB RAM.
Maybe corrupted download? Happened to me MANY TIMES ON MY TERRIBLE 1Mbit DSL. you might want to run IntelBurnInTest as admin in vista (not needed for me on 32-bit Vista)
!