PC Shutdown & CPU is unworkable or has changed.Please check soft menu?

kuber

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Hey people,

I just bought myself a new PC. when i started the machine to install windows xp, there were two things that happened.

1. when i started the machine there was a message "CPU is unworkable or has changed. Please check soft menu". Anyways i pressed F1 and moved forward.

2. Now when i started to install windows on my machine it would run normally reading all the drivers on the bottom of the screen in the band and just before the part where it moves to say "windows is now starting up" (before we enter for the "partition") the machine shut down. Absolutely shut down. I thought it would restart it did not. Now every time i tried to install windows the same damn thing would happen.It would just shut down. I have no clue what is the problem.

Now could some1 help me with this. Are the two issues connected??? like why the hell is my PC shutting at the same spot every time when installing windows??? Is is hardware or what exactly???.

PC Config:
Intel E8400
Abit IP-35E
2 GB Patriot RAM
500GB WD HDD
ATi HD4850

Thank you so much.

cmichael258

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
If you just purchased it, I would recommend returning it to the seller. Could be a faulty CPU (or not properly installed), faulty PSU, or faulty RAM, among other issues.