Looking for a new mobo and proc

Starmonger

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
My mobo has just decided to break itself after transporting my pc to a new house. So im wondering if someone could suggest a good mobo instead. It needs to be a ddr2 board as i have 4 gig of ram

Also im looking for a replacement processor. Here is my current system:

700w gamexstream psu
gigabyte 965p-ds3 mobo
e6600 oc'd to 3.4
ati 4870 x2
4 gig ddr 2 ram
xfi
vista 64bit

Ill probably want to OC the processor, and im looking for something faster than my current one. Also preferably for the mobo i'd like to get something new, but seeing as it's ddr2 ram, does that mean i have to go for an older model?

SLI/crossfire i dont want.

I quite like the idea of a quad core proc, but im a bit worried about my psu not handling that along with the 4870x2.
Price is a concern also, im probably looking at around £300 in total.

thanks people!

You can run a quad core easily. For a more budget minded setup go for the Q6600 and I would get a good Gigabyte motherboard or an ASUS. I have used both and have been happy with both brands.

You can use your DDR2 ram, that is what most are still using. The same motherboard you had would support the new cpu upgrade if you wanted to go with the same one.

How old is that motherboard? It may still be under warranty. Its worth contacting Gigabyte to find out if they will issue an RMA.

I would RMA (if possible) the mobo and get the Q6600 and be done with it. You can get out a lot cheaper this way. Buy an aftermarket cpu cooler and overclock the cpu to 3.0ghz or more.

Starmonger

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
thanks, I think thats a good idea. ill have a look about the warrenty

Is the new x48 chipset faster than an older one like the p45? ive never understood chipsets.

also im still worried about the psu issue, as the quad may be too much for the psu, ill try and find out.