full size case for video card upgrade?

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
If I end up getting a full-size case because I'm upgrading my Nvidia card to the newer ones that are 10.5", I'll have to get a new case.

Right now, I have an Antec Solo with a Nvidia 7950GT in there. The newer 9800-series won't fit. At least, the 9800GTX+ won't. So, which case should I get?

I was comparing.... NZXT Zero v.s. CM HAF 932 v.s. Antec 1200/900

Please help me choose. ;) I don't know anything about these cases. I've seen an Antec 900 set up but I might be better off paying a bit more for a full-size ATX / Server case?

I've read good things about the CM HAF 932. But, can I use 120mm fans with it? I noticed that there are supposed to be mounts for the 120mm fans but are they any good? I have no idea where to get the larger fans. What are they, like 240mm? Where on earth do you get those?

I'd still have this Antec Solo case and a Nvidia 7950GT card. I guess I could use them as a 2nd build. If I go for a new case and card, which case should I get? I'm already thinking that one of the Nvidia 9800GTX+ cards is the one to get. I think they might run a bit cooler than the other 9800-series cards? They are only 55nm so maybe they won't produce as much heat?

The full-size cases will do a better job at allowing better cooling for those cards?

I'm just going to use air cooling.

Anyway, what would you recommend?

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
I just bought an HAF 932 yesterday. Great case, easy to lay out. The case already comes with 3 230mm fans and a 140 mm fan. I added 2 120mm fans myself. Best case I've ever owned. I don't know about the NZXT Zero but the antec 900 and 1200 are good cases too.

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
They have fans already inside? Nice! I mgiht have 2 120mm fans in a box that I didn't use in the Solo case. When I was looking at cases then, I was comparing the Antec P180 series and the Solo and went with the Solo. I only did because it was cheaper. The CM probably wasn't available then but I am wishing I went with a full size tower. It's just more convenient even if it is heavier and more awkward to carry around. I might buy a laptop for the portability so a full size tower would be fine for the office.