Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive not recognized in BIOS

Last response: in Storage
February 19, 2010 7:35:12 PM

Hi everyone,

I have a Compaq Presario V6000 laptop which, awhile ago, began giving me the blue screen of death and telling me that there was something wrong with my operating system and that it had to shut down. Every time I would start up the laptop it would give the same message and then immediately shut down. I took it to my friend who knows some things about computers. He backed up my hard drive onto someone else's and then was going to try and reinstall Windows on my computer's hard drive. However, now it keeps saying that there is no hard drive detected, not even BIOS is detecting anything. It is an SATA drive and seems to be set up properly so there's no reason why it would not be detected. Unless perhaps there's something wrong with the motherboard interface that's not recognizing the hard drive anymore? I'm not sure what's going on with this and need help. I don't really know much at all about computers and am basically just going off of all the information my friend has told me, trying understand how it all works little by little. Could anyone help me figure out what's going on and what I should do to solve it? Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
February 20, 2010 5:38:50 PM

if you are using xp as the OS ur trying to install you may need to hit F6 during the beginning of the install sequence[it will prompt you if you pay close attention while the setup is loading]. at some point thereafter you'll be asked to insert a floppy disk with the drivers for the device ur trying to use.
also see that the disk shows up in the bios and make sure all cables are connected. ive had this same problem when i connected a sata drive and forgot to connect the power plug...duh! it happens to the best of us, even the gurus who know it all.
post back and let me know.
m
l
!