Sign in with
Your question

I'll never OC again

Last response: in Overclocking
December 20, 2009 12:13:17 AM

I've had several good stable OC's with an I7 920 on a Gigabyte X-58 mobo with 6GB of DDR3 RAM.

EAch OC was strenuously tested and proved to be stable with excellent temps and everything else.

The gaming performance which is beyond excellent at the stock speeds were awesome.

But with even the slightest OC there was a hidden conflict, every time.

Once the PC went to sleep, or was shutdown there was no restarting it, period.

You could restart but it would not make it to windows, there was an error message on a black and white screen, saying it would not come out of hibernation mode.
so:

Never again, I drove 40 miles round trip yesterday and today because once I successfully OC it its fine until I put it to sleep or shut it down.

Then I get the error message that it will not come out of hibernation mode, there is nothing I can do to get it to F8 after start-up, or to reset the CMOS, nothing works.

The guys at Best Buy could not believe it happened again.

They didn't charge me though, but everytime I overclock it I 'll have to take it back to them.

I am fine at 2.67-2.8 stock.

I can fly in FSX with most sliders set to max locked at 30FPS with an occasional dip to 28FPS, and FSX is about the mosr resource hungry game out there.

Even recording with Fraps and full settings I only dip to 28 FPS in FSX.

COD?WAW is crazy smooth as is everything else I've tried.

My quality settings for my GTX 260 card is 16 AA with all the extra AA options checked in Enhancer, all settings set to maximum quality, FSX maxed out almost completely, and staying at 30FPS is not bad, at stock settings, I'll leave well enough alone.

Ocing is well worth the effort, but this is a conflict between the BIOS and the CPU or Mobo are something, I was told its a known issue, well it doesn't seem like its goint to go away.

So I'm fine where I'm at.

I upgraded from an old single core with a NVIDEA 6200 card to this:

http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index.php?&autocom...

and I built it myself, I don't want to fry it just to get a few more FPS.

More about : question

December 20, 2009 12:17:39 AM

Just in case you cannot see the page, if not join, it'll onlt take a minute and its the best flight simulator site period.

Here are my specs, if you can't see the pics at the site and don't want to join tell me how to upload them here.

My PC build parts:

Title My rig I built for FSX
Recommended to others? Yes
Description Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model

XFX GX260XADJF GeForce GTX 260 Core Edition Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video- This is a true NVIDEA graphics card.

ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Logitech SBF-96 Black 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel PS/2 Wired Optical Mouse

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM

Nvidia Gift Call of duty - World at war, I also received Far Cry 2, and Mirrors Edge, and 3D Mark Vantage Advanced Editon free with my GPU.

Rosewill RTK-001 Premium Anti-Static Wrist Strap

Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives

Saitek PZ30AU Black USB Standard Eclipse Keyboard with lit keys and back lighting, blue lighting.

OCZ RALLY 2 4GB High Performance Dual Channel Flash Drive-Free gift

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory

Soundblaster sound card.
Manufacturer Built it myself!
Updated Aug 27 2009, 04:05 AM
Total Mods 0
Total Spent 0
Total Views 229
Comments
(2 Total Comments)

caaront: I forgot that I also added a Sound Blaster sound card.
caaront: I spent about $1700 for everything listed above. Then immediately spe...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2009 1:17:20 AM

What were you doing at Best Buy with these round trips, exchanging your motherboard ?
m
l
Related resources
December 20, 2009 1:45:42 AM

No, getting my PC restarted, and the BIOS set back to Optimized defaults.

With no equipment I could get to the BIOS but could not reset it, or the CMOS, or get into F8 mode or anything else to get away from the error mode.

It was impossible.

The mobo is fine but there is a conflict somewhere that causes the PC to not come out of hibernation mode with even the slightest OC.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2009 1:47:33 AM

Best buy?

All you have to do is hit the red bios reset button.
m
l
December 20, 2009 1:56:20 AM

It would not reset, itwouldn't jump, it would not reset by taking the battery out.
You'd restart it, it would go to the verifying DMI page, and then back to the error about being stuck in hibernation mode.

You'd be anle to hit delete after re-starting and get back to the BIOS, but no matter what you did it would always end up with the error screen.
It said to hit enter to continue, but you couldn't continue.

You could not restart and hit F8 to get to the start in last good configuration screen.

Everything always led to the error screen.

There was some major conflict going on.

No, the reset button didn't do anything but get you back to the error screen, as did taking out the battery for a full minute.

I don't know how they got it reset at Best buy, but I'm not taking anymore chances.
m
l
a c 145 K Overclocking
December 20, 2009 1:59:20 AM

I don't know anyone else who doesn't disable hibernate so I have no experience to call on other than I have seen more than 1 post about OCZ PSU's and sleep / hibernate.
m
l
December 20, 2009 2:35:42 AM

So you recommend disabling sleep mode all together.

So then if I shut it down it should come back up?

Where can I find some of the threads about OZC sleep/PSU's etc?

Thank you, I appreciate your reply.

I'ma disabled vet who broke my neck so I'm in almost costant pain.

I'm new to this so I get frustrated but I try to remain a gentleman.

Thanks again, Aaron
m
l
December 20, 2009 2:40:25 AM

Maybe a hardware specific guide would be nice.

I can't believe I didn't jump on a guide I saw in a bookstore, it had a full chapter devoted to I7 OC.

It was very detailed, step by step, but I didn't think I'd ever OC so I didn't get it, after all this and the total lack of any deatails on any guide I've seen thus far online the $25 cost of the book would have been a bargain.

Although Overspeeds guide is very detailed and as good as it can get for an overall OC guide for i&.

Each mobo is different and there are many heatsinks being used, so many variables, even 2 PC's with the same exact components would probably not OC exactly the same at the same settings.

m
l
December 20, 2009 3:06:36 AM

Yes, every OC is different, but the basic process is the same. And I have never seen I bios that didn't have the restore defaults setting or reset jumpers....
I think there is more to the hibernate problem than the overclock. Did you mess with the sleep states in the bios when you were overclocking?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2009 3:20:03 AM

caaront said:
So you recommend disabling sleep mode all together.

So then if I shut it down it should come back up?

Where can I find some of the threads about OZC sleep/PSU's etc?

Thank you, I appreciate your reply.

I'ma disabled vet who broke my neck so I'm in almost costant pain.

I'm new to this so I get frustrated but I try to remain a gentleman.

Thanks again, Aaron

Sounds frustrating....

I have never used the sleepmode either. I usually just shut it down when i go to bed.

Your having some really unique problems with overclocking... but i dont think any of it is your fault.

~Thank you for your service. [:lectrocrew:6]
m
l
December 20, 2009 5:21:58 AM

How could best buy possibly restart it if the BIOS button and resetting CMOS wouldn't do it?
m
l
a c 224 K Overclocking
December 20, 2009 5:50:23 AM

sonic-boom said:
How could best buy possibly restart it if the BIOS button and resetting CMOS wouldn't do it?

Because it was unplugged from the wall at Best Buy, some M/Bs will not allow the CMOS to clear even with the battery removed, if it is still plugged in the wall.
m
l
December 20, 2009 11:25:29 AM

It was unplugged.

I don't know what they did. I'll try again later.

First I'll study and see if I accidentally missed something.

Maybe after I catch up on rest though as I have missed 4 days and nights of sllep this week, 1 and 2 at a time, it adds up.

Thank you, and to Overspeed, you are welcome.
m
l
December 20, 2009 12:47:23 PM

I have had no problem coming out of stand by or hibernation with a bclk of 191 but there was a thread on XS about which boards would and which had problems. It is quite a few months old but showed that there were many Asus and Giga boards that did and bios update fixed some of them.

If you want to try different things I would not let it Hibernate but just use stand by since the info would just get written to ram and not the hard drive which seems to be the problem which won't even allow you to regain use even after a complete power down and bios reset. They both seem to have the same problem and stand by should be much easier to recover from.
m
l
December 20, 2009 4:28:39 PM

If you look at this review on my mobo you'll see it desn't have a reset button on the mobo for the cmos.

1srt paragraph, last sentance.

He went on to say that he got a very easy OC to 3.6.

I guess I'm missing something, time to try a new guide.

http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/motherboards/315-gi...
m
l
December 20, 2009 4:30:53 PM

Thank you guys, and I apoligize if I let my frustration has made me appear short with any of you.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2009 4:46:08 PM

The over all problem may be a bios issue, but I don't think reseting the Bios will allow you back into the operating system.

When the system goes into hybernation the computer writes a hidden file to the hard drive of what is in memory which is then read when coming out of hybernation - this file is getting corrupted probably. I think what BB is doing is deleting this hidden file. To would need a bootable dvd that would allow you to view the files on the HDD to delete it.

To dissable hybernation (do a google to verify), You run a dos command (powercfg) with the the augment -H Off. Need to open dos window w/admin privilage.
m
l
December 20, 2009 5:02:27 PM

Thank you, I will google it and may try that.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2009 5:15:11 PM

My best guess is, Yes. I would verify that hybernation is disabled. I would also delete the hybernation file ( need to display system hidden files) after disabling it.

Added: The disabling of the Hybernation file is quite often done when a SSD is installed
m
l
December 20, 2009 5:28:50 PM

Jeff will be in at BB at 2pm-36 minutes.

I'll call him and see how he was able to get into the PC in case I have the same problem.

Or if I can just take it in again.

I think I'm going to shut down the hibernation, free up the disc space and I should be able to OC.

I never had a problem until I put my PC to sleep out of habit, then I'd do it each time I OC'd to see if it would have the problem.

So I'm thinking, no hibernation mode, no problem.

If I do it, I'll be honest, when I shut it down and then restart I'll be scared as all get out until it boots back up.

What do y'all think.
m
l
December 20, 2009 5:50:51 PM

RetiredChief said:
My best guess is, Yes. I would verify that hybernation is disabled. I would also delete the hybernation file ( need to display system hidden files) after disabling it.

Added: The disabling of the Hybernation file is quite often done when a SSD is installed

I'm going to do that now, and then call Jeff, then try the OC.

After that I just shut down, right?

And I'll be on pins and needles until everything comes back up after all this, LOL.

Thank you so much guys, I appreciate the help.

And if I ever make a guide after I become more experienced I'll recommend disabling hibernation first and foremost.
m
l
December 20, 2009 7:09:08 PM

I've disabled hibernation. Waiting to talk to Jeff.
m
l
a c 224 K Overclocking
December 20, 2009 8:03:17 PM

@caaront

No offense but if you cannot figure out how to clear your own CMOS settings, and are at the mercy of Best Buy, maybe you shouldn't be overclocking until you learn what you're doing.

Because being able to clear your own CMOS, is pretty important as far as overclocking is concerned.

m
l
December 20, 2009 8:17:29 PM

Clearing the CMOS was no problem, the problem was that the USB keyboard would not allow me to go into F8, I was just told that he had to use the older style keyboard with the round connection on it that plugs into the back.

Thats all, he plugged it in, powered up, hit F8 then went back to the last known good settings.

Resetting the CMOS, is nothing, I have to remove my video card though to get to the battery or the jumper point, then remove the battery for a minute or jump across the jumper point for a few seconds.

And I'm going to use Overshocks guide.

Thank you.

I wish Jeff would have told me about the keyboard, I have one at my other house.
m
l
December 20, 2009 8:21:00 PM

Heres the deal, I was worried that if hibernation was a problem there might be other problems, but a very expanded search shows that many either dis-able or don't use it.

I had put her to sleep every time.

The guide above is more conservative than the guys that I had been using, I'm going to follow it to the letter.

Thanks again.
m
l
December 20, 2009 9:19:31 PM

I decreased the numbers called for by Overshock's guide and raised the BLCK to 145 from 133 and saved everything. The light would come on and the fan would run for 3-5 seconds, it would shot off, repeat many times.
I unplugged the PC, took the graphics card out and reset the CMOS.

The PC booted back up to the last known good configuration.

What can be the problem there?

Would some of the settings be too low?

At 3.4 I was getting along pretty good, except for the hibernation.

Should I go back to my last good OC settings?

With hibernation disabled and the hiberfil.sys file removed and not putting her to sleep shouldn't everything be fine?

I had passed a strenuous OCCT test, had excellent temps and Distance to T J Max scores in Real Temp.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2009 11:46:18 PM

What do you mean by "I decreased the numbers called for by Overshock's guide"

What numbers did you decrease?
m
l
December 20, 2009 11:48:10 PM

First time to hear an overclocker saying "i give up".
m
l
December 21, 2009 12:15:57 AM

overshocked said:
What do you mean by "I decreased the numbers called for by Overshock's guide"

What numbers did you decrease?

QPI Link, Memory freq, uncore multiplier, I set them to their minimum settings according to the guide.
m
l
December 21, 2009 12:30:22 AM

I notice that if left on auto they increase with the increased BLCK settings, thats from default. Should I then put them back down to the default settings?

The lowest available settings are pretty low, and thats the first time that my changes were not successfully saved.

Other than getting stuck in hibernation mode after putting the PC to sleep I was at 3.4 before with excellent temps and numbers all around.

I wish I'd known then to disable hibernation mode.
m
l
December 21, 2009 7:53:44 AM

Back to the original 3.4 numbers and very stable.

With the updated BIOS and updated video driver I even scored with 1 degree C less on the temp test.

Another friend who didn't realize I was OC'ing told me that the hiberfil.sys file was a source of many mistakes in OC'ing and many other things in Vista, he advised me to remove it through the Disc Cleaner and double check it with Command Prompt, he was proud I'd found that out already through research.

I was waiting to get confirmation that I should continue with the OC at my last stable settings, and waiting to hear from Jeff about how he was able to reset everything at BB when I could not get into F8.

Turns out that a USB keyboard wouldn't and he used a regular keyboard with the round plug.

My voltage and temperature tests in OCCT were passed with flying colors, my Distance to T J Max numbers were good throughout the tests, and I was able to restart, shut down, and then start successfully.

All the stress and almost giving up over a hibernation problem.

Now I'll enjoy everything at 3.465 for a bit and then later edge up some more.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 21, 2009 2:31:36 PM

caaront said:
Clearing the CMOS was no problem, the problem was that the USB keyboard would not allow me to go into F8, I was just told that he had to use the older style keyboard with the round connection on it that plugs into the back.

Thats all, he plugged it in, powered up, hit F8 then went back to the last known good settings.

Resetting the CMOS, is nothing, I have to remove my video card though to get to the battery or the jumper point, then remove the battery for a minute or jump across the jumper point for a few seconds.

And I'm going to use Overshocks guide.

Thank you.

I wish Jeff would have told me about the keyboard, I have one at my other house.

I wonder what Best Buy charged you for that...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 21, 2009 3:30:38 PM

Next time you go to BB, ask them what they did to the PC.. This way you won't have to take multiple trips and get ripped-off =)

m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 21, 2009 3:36:03 PM

Just a little FYI: Hibernation issues are related mainly to driver/software conflicts or could be BIOS settings (check under Power Management).
m
l
December 21, 2009 7:51:58 PM

jonpaul37 said:
I wonder what Best Buy charged you for that...

Nothing at all, he even updated the BIOS for me, which I could have done but hey, if he wants to do it for free he can.

m
l
December 21, 2009 7:54:23 PM

I guess I didn't post it here.

I didn't realize but in the BIOS its set up not to allow certain YSB items to access certain things.

So my USB keyboard could not get into F8 at start up, but their keyboard with the round plug could.

I've learned a lot by this little experience.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 21, 2009 7:59:53 PM

That is because most boards need a PS2 keyboard when you are booting for the first time. I had the same issue, even with my new board, I had to use an old PS2 keyboard just to get into the bios...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 21, 2009 11:00:19 PM

You have a gigabyte X58 Motherboard, you should not need a PS2 KB (BUT as OvrClkr it's a good idea to have usb->PS2 adaptor just incase). Granted you should have USB keyboard enabled (default on most new boards. Also caution, some keyboards have a toggle for the function keys - dual purpose. When I hit F whatever and get no response, under my breath (don't what the wife to hear) I say Dummy, hit the toggle!!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 21, 2009 11:48:13 PM

Correct, not all boards will have a PS2 but if they do that normally means you will need a PS2 keyboard/adapter just to get into the Bios... If the board has USB only then you should not have an issue...
m
l
December 23, 2009 1:33:08 AM

I have seen several USB settings in the BIOS but didn't know what they were, I think that one disables/enables USB items.

I'm sure thast I can set it to allow my USB keyboard to access F8, I get into the BIOS fine just not F8.

But I have the other style keyboard at my other place.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 24, 2009 2:33:19 PM

caaront said:
QPI Link, Memory freq, uncore multiplier, I set them to their minimum settings according to the guide.

To bring back this semi-dead thread....

There is a reason that i said "this step is not required". It is because not all boards can handle the low qpi and uncore freq.

So try bumping those up to stock and see if that helps. [:mousemonkey:4]
m
l
December 24, 2009 4:26:00 PM

Okay guys, I started over the other day with the OC to 4.0GHz guide and achieved it, but didn't pass the OCCT test as my temps were too high, I knew the voltages seemed high so I backed them off a bit and I passed the test, I'm stable at 4.0.

I'm about to tweak them a tiny bit more and enable Turbo Booster to take me up to 4.2GHz.

Thank you Over Shocked, I appreciate all your help.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 24, 2009 4:43:45 PM

caaront said:
Okay guys, I started over the other day with the OC to 4.0GHz guide and achieved it, but didn't pass the OCCT test as my temps were too high, I knew the voltages seemed high so I backed them off a bit and I passed the test, I'm stable at 4.0.

I'm about to tweak them a tiny bit more and enable Turbo Booster to take me up to 4.2GHz.

Thank you Over Shocked, I appreciate all your help.

No problem dude, glad you changed your mind. [:thegreatgrapeape:3]
m
l
December 24, 2009 5:46:53 PM

I understand the numbers better now, it just clicked.

I am now at 4.2 with even cooler temps.
m
l
February 1, 2010 5:42:45 AM

caaront said:
I understand the numbers better now, it just clicked.

I am now at 4.2 with even cooler temps.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I experienced the same problem and I had a quick question.

Firstly, I managed to OC my computer to a nice stable 3.8ghz and everything was fine. Even when I put forced win7 to go to sleep, it woke up okay. It wasn't until the PC slept normally (without me telling it to) that it wouldn't wake up. I had to do a hard reset and then it wouldn't post at all - couldn't even get into the BIOS.

I would turn it on, and then it would shut off by itself...so annoying. I finally managed to get into the BIOS by resetting the board (after it froze multiple times in the BIOS) and now it restarts and operates fine.

My question is, did you just disable the S3/S1 hibernation in the BIOS, or did you do in Windows. Is this what's causing this?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2010 8:26:18 AM

skwurl said:
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I experienced the same problem and I had a quick question.

Firstly, I managed to OC my computer to a nice stable 3.8ghz and everything was fine. Even when I put forced win7 to go to sleep, it woke up okay. It wasn't until the PC slept normally (without me telling it to) that it wouldn't wake up. I had to do a hard reset and then it wouldn't post at all - couldn't even get into the BIOS.

I would turn it on, and then it would shut off by itself...so annoying. I finally managed to get into the BIOS by resetting the board (after it froze multiple times in the BIOS) and now it restarts and operates fine.

My question is, did you just disable the S3/S1 hibernation in the BIOS, or did you do in Windows. Is this what's causing this?

Yeah, don't disable it or else you get no boot. Lucky for me, my mobo clears the BIOS if I don't POST after 4 resets (also have a clear CMOS button), so I'm able to play around with my BIOS. Anyway, disabling the sleep states seems to cause no boot, S1 enables Hibernate and Sleep(low power state-computer stays on), while S3 will only enable Sleep (complete shut down-resumes from last state aka Hibernate).
m
l
February 1, 2010 2:04:05 PM

kokin said:
Yeah, don't disable it or else you get no boot. Lucky for me, my mobo clears the BIOS if I don't POST after 4 resets (also have a clear CMOS button), so I'm able to play around with my BIOS. Anyway, disabling the sleep states seems to cause no boot, S1 enables Hibernate and Sleep(low power state-computer stays on), while S3 will only enable Sleep (complete shut down-resumes from last state aka Hibernate).

It was never disabled...it was always set to S3 mode. When the BIOS is on the default optimal settings, the PC wakes up fine. As soon as I OC it to a modest 3.4 (i7 920) I can't wake it.

It loads Win7 fine, stress tests fine, but as soon as it goes to sleep, I can't get wake it up - even after I reset. The BIOS just freezes.
m
l
!