high cpu usage on idle

faethor

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
i have an amd 2.6 ghz cpu. Just reinstalled os and new vid card now cpu usage is thru the roof. lidel processing 58-70% now I can't run COD5 at all. COD 4 works but not CODWaW. Have next to nothing running on start up can't pinpoint whats sucking the cpu. any advice?

sounds like spyware

go to task manager and look what program takes such a high usage, maybe you have automatic virus scan or something.

just google free antivirus and scan your computer hopefully it will pick up something

i personally use avira antivir personal - its free :c

faethor

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
i use avg free antiv, and i just did a zero out and reinstall last week so format isn't really needed, and I don't think its a virus. I will run another scan and run malware bytes again.

Thats normal; The Idle Process is typically low level CPU or OS functions (Forks, allocating memory, etc.). Even though the number is almost always 89-99, it takes up almost no CPU power to perform. Are there any other processes that are taking up CPU time?

faethor

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
gamerk316 if there are any I don't know how to find them. when my system idles my cpu usage is around 68% and I can't figure it out. I just installed the o/s last week and updated it. nothing else. Aside from avg and maleware bytes and anti spyware programs. I really don't want to aero out my hd again and reinstall xp but it looks like it 's going to happen.