Sign in with
Your question

Why doesnt my windows disk see my whole drive?

Tags:
  • Windows Installer
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
February 18, 2011 9:17:25 PM

Hello,

I am completing a fresh install of windows XP Professional and I am having issues with the windows installer only recognizing 131Gb of a 250Gb SATA hard disk. Does anyone know why and how I can remedy this situation? (Note: this is the first time that the installer has not seen the entire drive.)

More about : doesnt windows disk drive

February 18, 2011 10:41:29 PM

what Service Pack does you CD have?

I think you need SP1 for Windows to create partitions larger then 131GB.

Create a 120GB partition, install XP, update to SP3, and use partition software to increase the partition size from 120GB to 250GB.
m
l
February 26, 2011 9:36:27 PM

Emerald said:
what Service Pack does you CD have?

I think you need SP1 for Windows to create partitions larger then 131GB.

Create a 120GB partition, install XP, update to SP3, and use partition software to increase the partition size from 120GB to 250GB.

Thanks for the reply Emerald - I ended up installing the OS in a 30 Gb partition and after I installed all the updates and service packs, created a 220 Gb partition/logical drive (D:)  for SageTV storage and program installation.

I have never had luck trying to expand a current "system" logical drive to include unpartitioned space.
m
l
Related resources
February 27, 2011 1:18:13 PM

You need 3rd party software to do it with XP... Vista and 7 allow you to do it within computer management.
m
l
March 10, 2011 12:49:12 AM

I guess that explains why I never have had luck in my attempts. Time to upgrade! Thank you all for your help. The way I organized the system (30GB system partition / 220 GB storage partition) is working very well so far.
m
l
March 10, 2011 1:26:48 AM

maybe you memory have some problem

I am in love with the artical,it is so excellent~~
I love the style~~Hope author will get more attention~~

fashion Prom Dresses
m
l
!