Why so hot? 9950

Primus462

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
This week I installed a 9950BE into my M2N32SLI - Deluxe. While this board is not officially listed as compatible with the 9950, after a simple BIOS update, it has been running fine. However, it seems to be running very hot. I previously had a 5000BE OCed to 3.2Ghz and it never got above 55C, and it was installed in a Coolermaster Wavemaster. I moved everything to an Antec 900 hoping the ventilation increase would help keep temps low (and added an additional 120mm fan to the side panel). While the case temp has dropped about 5 degrees lower in the 900, the Phenom 9950 idles about 10C higher, and if I start putting a load on the CPU (Prime 95, Nero encoding), temps pretty easily reach 65C. I heard this processor runs hot, but this seems a little ridiculous. Any hints? This isn't my first build, and I have never had CPU temp problems before, so I am pretty sure I installed the CPU correctly. I used Tuniq TX-2 thermal paste. Oh, and I am using a Zalman 9700 to cool the processor, which is currently at 2064rpm.

What gives? Would a new board help in anyway? I was really expecting to OC the 9950, but I don't seem to have any headroom.

Note: PCProbe II is providing my temp readings. I also tried SpeedFan and got very similar temp readings.

cybergunkoo81

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
dude, i never got a 9950 but have seen a same problem, have u applied the paste correctly?because with a zalman u cannot go wrong. and is there any fan speed controller?maybe u should try to increase the rpm.

Primus462

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I've never had a problem with paste before on prior installs, but there is always a first time, I guess. It is worth a shot at least. I've been trying to keep the noise down, so the fans are mostly set at low, except for the 9700 which is running at 2136rpms currently. Guess I will try to increase the fan speeds. If that doesn't work then I can try reapplying the paste.

Still surprised with the heat this baby puts off. Right now, for instance, my mobo is reading 26C while the CPU is reading 43C. All I have running is Firefox and Media Player, besides the regular background processes of course.

ddbrownell

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
I'm running my 9950be on Asus m3a78-em o/c 8% in bios. This gives me 2.809Ghz @ stock 1.30v. According to speedfan and pcprobe idle is around 37C and load 48C, with case 28C. I'm using the stock AMD cooler and fan is running @ 2250 rpms. My gamer case has 5x80mm fans also, running at low speed.

If your cpu is not bad, then I would suspect poor airflow thru your case, or poorly mounted heatsink.

Also, check your vcore as it it should be less than 1.30v. My bios improperly set my vcore at 1.324 per pcprobe and speedfan without overclocking. This caused my temps to vary wildly under mild load. The only way that I could LOWER my vcore was to turn on oc in bios, go figure!

Primus462

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005

Hmm. I will check my vcore tonight. I still haven't tried reapplying the paste. I need to pick some up. What kind of thermal paste are you using? I used Tuniq TX-2. It is the first time I have tried it.

On a side note, I upgraded my parents from a P4 to my old Athlon X2 4200+. The 4200 was idling at 18C with a case temp of 25C. Of course, I had all of the panels off of the case, but that is cool!

Primus462

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005

It is around 15C-17C.

Thanks!

Primus462

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Though I have applied thermal paste many times myself, I am curious what others use to apply their thermal paste. I usually put a dot or an X on the CPU and then spread the paste with a piece I cut off of some clamshell packaging. I spread it as thinly and evenly as possible.

What about you?

yep ... bout the same.

I still use the old Arctic Silver 5 stuff ... call me old.

I clean the HSF with a green kitchen scourer thoroughly first ... then the top of the IHS on the CPU.

I coat both (cpu in mobo) very lightly then reseat the HSF.

Fire it up and watch it in the bios for a while - then run HWM on the second screen while firing up a game).

Usually check it over the next few days.

Some people get quite chapter and verse about applying thermal paste ... I just try to resist the urge to put too much on.

Primus462

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005

What do you use to spread the thermal paste?

vthokie11

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
With Arctic Silver they suggest putting a small spot about the size of a bb in the center of the processor and then mounting the heat sink. When you get the heat sink mounted try to shift it back and forth a couple of degrees, I used to spread my thermal paste as you describe above but after trying this I have noticed quite a drop in my temperatures. Best of Luck!

Primus462

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005

Hmm. Now I am beginning to wonder if I use too much..... I might have to try it again with a small drop.

byteman

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
I have the very same board with the X4 9850. After i flashed my BIOS my temps for my X2 6000 went up as well (i think it went up about 10c) on all temp monitors. I then went to the ASUS forums and read that many people who were flashing their BIOS to make that mobo phenom compatible were having temp issues. But when i go to BIOS temps read about 10c cooler. No one really ever got to the botom of this issue. Some were flashing to previous BIOS versions but overall more than likely youll have issues with any phenom on those mobos. What worked for me was that i lapped my cpu and heatsink *zalman 9500* must have dropped the temps to around 7-10c, also check how you apply the thermal paste. I like this board. i got to oc my 9850 to 3.1 ghz with a v-core of 1.4v (a bit higher than the spec) with loading temps of 59c (well below the temp limit of these chips).