Sign in with
Your question

I7 P6T Deluxe "No hard disk is detected" problem

Last response: in CPUs
December 7, 2008 10:45:27 PM

Hey guys,I finally put together my i7 build lately with the following components:
Core i7 920/Asus P6T Deluxe/6GB ddr3 Corasair xsm3/XFX GTX260 black/
WD 640GB HD/Samsung 22x DVD burners

Everything is running smoothly with Vista Ultimate 32bit,but one thing bothers me is that now everytime before entering windows during post some says "Mavell 88se 61xx/63xx/64xx adapter..." and "no physical disk...no virtual disk...no hard disk is detected"
would appear everytime I boot up my system,although it doesnt prevent me from entering my OS or interfere the performance,but i still feel a bit distracted by constantly seeing these poping out everytime,can anyone help me fix the problem?
Too add a little more details,I put my WD 640GB in sata 1 port while the samsung 22xDVD is at sata 2 port,I already have a floppy dirve configured at IDE port,I'm by no means an expert at this,I appreicate your help guys thanks!
December 7, 2008 11:24:26 PM

That sounds like normal behavior. You can speed up POST by a few seconds by disabling the BootROM display of the onboard Marvell adapter, within BIOS.

The P6T has a bunch of SATA ports powered by the Southbridge ICH10R, and a few differently colored SATA ports plus one IDE port powered by the additional Marvell controller. If you have nothing plugged into the latter ports, you can speed up POST by skipping detection of drives on the Marvell ports.
December 7, 2008 11:42:24 PM

^agreed, its just the Marvell adapter letting you know nothing is plugged in.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2008 12:21:40 PM

why are using 32bit Vista with 6gb??

and yeah, disable the marvell controller in the bios...
December 8, 2008 12:52:37 PM

Thanks guys I disabled them and now boots up into windows vista directly,as for the vista,ever since i upgraded to sp1,I have been able to fully utilized 6GB of ram now :) 
December 8, 2008 2:34:12 PM

Under Task Manager -> Performance tab -> Physical Memory (MB), you'll probably see a total value in the 3000s, not the full 6144 MB. That's what your OS can use.

The 6 GB reported under Computer -> Properties is the total installed, not necessarily all usable.
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2008 4:22:37 PM

Yep. You're using somewhere around half of your RAM, although it can see the existence of all 6GB of it.
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2008 5:13:04 PM

+1 yep. They changed the way vista reports it with sp1, so not to confuse people with the 'some of my ram is missing' problem. It still wont actually use it however.
December 8, 2008 9:44:08 PM

Btw guys,there is a weird problem with my i7 system,I'm using a XFX GTX260 c216 black edition now which was bought along with my entire system parts last week,problem is whenever I play games like far cry 2,just few seconds into the game,my system would just reboot,while playing less intensive mmorpg games or watching a movie is fine,is this more likely the psu problem or gpu problem,my power supply is a Hec 750W,i know it's a off-brand,and the +12V rail is 19A while my gtx260 require 40A.I'm not sure which one actually casuing the reboot since all parts are new arrival prior to my build for less than a week,please enlighten me,thanks alot!
December 9, 2008 1:00:27 AM

umm you said it yourself... the PSU
a b à CPUs
December 9, 2008 1:07:12 AM

ugh.. why the hell would anyone use a 32 bit os with 6+ gigs of ram... *bangs head against the wall* please send me your corei7 cuz your setup = fail.
December 9, 2008 1:22:27 AM

werxen said:
ugh.. why the hell would anyone use a 32 bit os with 6+ gigs of ram... *bangs head against the wall* please send me your corei7 cuz your setup = fail.

If you are not in a position to help others,just keep quiet rather than flaming like a kid,btw your logic does not work neither it's like saying "Why would some billionaires still want to eat KFC chicken or Burgerking hamburger",sometimes people have ability to afford better things dont mean they must go for the luxury,it could simply be their perference.
a b à CPUs
December 9, 2008 1:37:25 AM

tim924 said:
If you are not in a position to help others,just keep quiet rather than flaming like a kid,btw your logic does not work neither it's like saying "Why would some billionaires still want to eat KFC chicken or Burgerking hamburger",sometimes people have ability to afford better things dont mean they must go for the luxury,it could simply be their perference.

dumbest thing i've ever seen posted on toms to cover up ones stupidity. send me your corei7 now!

edit: oh and i would really love to see billionaires or even millionaires for that matter eating burger king. send me a picture of donald trump or oprah winfrey eating off the 99 cent menu and ill be quiet. in the mean time your setup still fails.
a b à CPUs
December 9, 2008 2:01:03 AM

tim924 said:

So you bought and paid for 6GB of RAM, but because it's your preference, chose to limit yourself to only 3GB of it?

That's a really odd choice. :heink: 

As for the other comment, the problem is definitely the power supply. Get a good Corsair or PC Power and Cooling unit.
a b à CPUs
December 9, 2008 2:31:06 AM

cjl said:
So you bought and paid for 6GB of RAM, but because it's your preference, chose to limit yourself to only 3GB of it?

That's a really odd choice. :heink: 

As for the other comment, the problem is definitely the power supply. Get a good Corsair or PC Power and Cooling unit.

lol. its ok OUR logic is the failure in this scenario not his. OBVIOUSLY if you have the choice to drive in a race track using a ferrari and a geo metro half the time you are going to use the metro cuz you simply arent in the mood to drive fast. this is a great example of the difference between a noob and an enthusiast in computers. *stick this thread plz*
a b à CPUs
December 9, 2008 6:51:40 PM

Doesn't anyone find it odd that 750W psu would only have 19amps on just one 12V rail?? I'd bet there are at least 3 of those 12V rails in there, 19A each... or something...
December 9, 2008 8:27:04 PM

Kari said:
Doesn't anyone find it odd that 750W psu would only have 19amps on just one 12V rail?? I'd bet there are at least 3 of those 12V rails in there, 19A each... or something...

I was under the same impression even I'm the actual user of this 750W psu,hard to believe being 750W still not able to power a single GTX260,anyways I'm down to three choices:Antec EA650(obviously a budget one,but some said it would be enough for my needs)/Corsair TX750/PCP&C 750W which one of the three will be the better choice for my system,appreciate your opinions.(I've posted my system specs in my OP,and I'm using a NZXT Apollo case,it's a ATX mid case in case the psu would be too big to fit in.)
December 9, 2008 9:00:10 PM

The reason you see posters "flaming" you is because if you had done more than 5 minutes of research you would have discovered that a 32bit OS can only address up to 4GB of RAM. Some of which is eaten up by your video card.... So, you're using about half of the RAM that you paid good money for.

If that wasn't reason enough to use a 64 bit OS, you're also using a 64 bit processor... At this point there is just about zero reason for you to be using vista 32, so the "flaming" (while maybe not neccessary) is not w/out reason.

Its silly to spend that kind of money on hardware and then load it on software that doesn't utilize it.
December 9, 2008 9:46:05 PM

rfatcheric said:
The reason you see posters "flaming" you is because if you had done more than 5 minutes of research you would have discovered that a 32bit OS can only address up to 4GB of RAM. Some of which is eaten up by your video card.... So, you're using about half of the RAM that you paid good money for.

If that wasn't reason enough to use a 64 bit OS, you're also using a 64 bit processor... At this point there is just about zero reason for you to be using vista 32, so the "flaming" (while maybe not neccessary) is not w/out reason.

Its silly to spend that kind of money on hardware and then load it on software that doesn't utilize it.

To your question,I know the capability of my core i7 system,it's just that at the moment I still dont have a 64 bit OS system on hand,and I was here to asking help regarding the "No hard disk is detected" issue which is resolved now,and didnt raise the topic with "Vista 64bit Vs 32bit",trust me I knew 64 bit was better for my system,but I built this system a week ago as you know i7 came out not long ago,am still using the 32bit vista ultimate from my previous system because i dont have 64bit version yet which I'll definitely get in the near future,and that guy was saying "Why the hell would someone use a i7 system with 32bit OS,Give the i7 to me!"<-----Dont you see the way he spoke?like those ignorant people who thinks he's the only one knows everything,but in reality people do things for a reason,and not purely because they dont know what's better for them.You know what?It's simple to say but act,how about I say to those people who dont have the i7 systems "Man,why the hell someone would still use a Core 2 or worse even P4 now that i7 has been out for a month?" But would I do that?No,because I'm not one of those kids so self-centered to claim myself knowing everything,as I know people do things for a reason,and in this case it's clearly their financial management decison of course.
And now mind go back to my PSU choices I listed before,instead of going off-topic like those people who claimed they have a good logic that since XXXX is using a 32 bit OS with i7 he's clearly a computer nerd?
December 9, 2008 9:54:37 PM

Im glad to hear you know the difference, and glad someone was able to help w/ your original problem.

Could I have your i7 anyway? Im stuck on a core2 w/ 2GB ram!

I'm so jealous.
December 9, 2008 9:58:45 PM

It's alright,just a computer that functions on my needs after all,btw what do you think of those 3 PSUs that I have listed?
December 9, 2008 10:06:38 PM

I would say PC P&C 610 instead of the 750 you listed. The 610 should even be capable of SLI with the same GPU you have. The PSU is very popular/well reviewed and has an extremely low failure rate.
December 9, 2008 10:19:27 PM

Ok,thanks for your recommendation,but would PC P&C610 be enough if I am to add one more GTX260 in the near future(Running with a XFX GTX260 c216 black now.)
December 10, 2008 12:00:24 AM

Sure, it should even be enough for air overclocks on the i7 and 2 x 260's. PC P&C 610 is a very strong PSU, with a 588W rating on 12V alone. You'll likely use less than 400W at full load, stock.
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2008 12:46:05 AM

tim924 said:
To your question,I know the capability of my core i7 system,it's just that at the moment I still dont have a 64 bit OS system on hand,and I was here to asking help regarding the "No hard disk is detected" issue which is resolved now,and didnt raise the topic with "Vista 64bit Vs 32bit",trust me I knew 64 bit was better for my system,but I built this system a week ago as you know i7 came out not long ago,am still using the 32bit vista ultimate from my previous system because i dont have 64bit version yet which I'll definitely get in the near future,and that guy was saying "Why the hell would someone use a i7 system with 32bit OS,Give the i7 to me!"<-----Dont you see the way he spoke?like those ignorant people who thinks he's the only one knows everything,but in reality people do things for a reason,and not purely because they dont know what's better for them.You know what?It's simple to say but act,how about I say to those people who dont have the i7 systems "Man,why the hell someone would still use a Core 2 or worse even P4 now that i7 has been out for a month?" But would I do that?No,because I'm not one of those kids so self-centered to claim myself knowing everything,as I know people do things for a reason,and in this case it's clearly their financial management decison of course.
And now mind go back to my PSU choices I listed before,instead of going off-topic like those people who claimed they have a good logic that since XXXX is using a 32 bit OS with i7 he's clearly a computer nerd?

lawl. just admit you didn't know you needed a 64 bit os, k? ive never heard of somone buying a core i7 and running 32 bit os because they did not have a 64 bit os already. thats just a pathetic excuse. do your reading before investing so much money on a build idiota!
December 10, 2008 1:20:49 AM

werxen said:
lawl. just admit you didn't know you needed a 64 bit os, k? ive never heard of somone buying a core i7 and running 32 bit os because they did not have a 64 bit os already. thats just a pathetic excuse. do your reading before investing so much money on a build idiota!

This above statement is nothing but making yourself embrassed more,since when is not having a 64 bit OS is pathetic?As I said people use what is available to them and not be able to have something for a reason for the period of time,and it's just a computer after all,this forum is for those need help and helping others,not for people like you just hanging around just to flame,by that you are just showing how immature you are and waste of your life in a non-meaningful way.
Anyways back to topic,thanks for those who have actually provided helpful informations,I'm 99% sure that it's the HEC 750 not having enough power,so I'm up for a new psu,and the Corsair 750TX looks promising at the moment.Once again thanks for solving the Marvell controller issues alone providing valuable opinions.
December 10, 2008 3:52:03 PM

Okay,I ended up buying the Corsair 750TX this morning,please tell me I didnt make the wrong choice?And Could I possibly add another GTX260 to sli in the future?Reason I picked this one over the similar price PC P&C 750 sliencer is I heard that Corsair 750TX is a bit smaller in size so there will be less likely of a size problem for my NZXT Apollo mid case,plus alot of reviews saying it's also quieter while both have the same 60A single rail and good ratings after all (I did consider the 610 or 650W options but you know psu is a long term investment,that extra 100W or so may come in handy for future upgrade.)

December 10, 2008 4:17:35 PM

Should be OK. The Corsair 750 can handle a pair of 260s without any issues.

Dont let werxen bother you. Trolls like him like to be fed. Ignore them and they go away.
December 10, 2008 4:47:33 PM

Kaldor said:
Should be OK. The Corsair 750 can handle a pair of 260s without any issues.

Dont let werxen bother you. Trolls like him like to be fed. Ignore them and they go away.

Thanks for the quick reply,and yea but wonder why some people like him would just like to waste their life to bash people insteading of helping others,I have a similar feeling while dealing with kids,you know what I mean,back to topic is Corsair 750TX smaller and quieter than a PC P&C 750 like those reviews say?
December 10, 2008 5:41:23 PM

My money is on the PCP&C for straight performance. I own a Corsair 750. Bought it most because of the larger fan which makes it somewhat quieter as well as the sleeving.

And as far as the 64 bit OS goes. I cant make up my mind either. I own full copies of 32bit XP. I want to build an i7 with 6 gigs of ram similar to yours. But I dont really want Vista and waiting for Win7, meh, I dunno. You may want to contact MS about the 64 bit version of Vista though, as you may be able to get it for cheap, like $10 iirc.
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2008 5:45:55 PM

Both the Corsair and the PC P&C are excellent power supplies. The Corsair is probably quieter, and the PC P&C is a bit higher performance, but you can't really go wrong with either.
December 10, 2008 11:15:07 PM

^agreed
!