Trying to choose power supply for core 2 duo E7300 system

spiderdan

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I've got all the components chosen for my new system except the power supply. I would like to keep it under fifty dollars, but [erhaps this is unrealistic. I would certainly rather spend a bit extra for more dependability, but I am shooting for value with this system. The major components are as follows

Intel Core 2 Duo E7300

ASUS P5Q-VM LGA 775

OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory

Will be using a 80gb and 500gb pata hard drive and generic dvd rw drive. Imagine these wont add much.

I am planning on using the onbard graphics initially, altthough the flexibility of being able to add a decent graphics card later down the line is appealing. By my calculations any of the following power supplies should be sufficient, but the whole reason I'm here is I don't entirely trust my calculations. If you know of a better power supply within reason of cost, please tell! Thanks Ahead of time!

XCLIO STABLEPOWER 500W
Would like to avoid leaving this price range, but would.

XCLIO STABLEPOWER 460W

COOLMAX CR-450B 450W

Sunbeam PSU-BKS580-US 580W
May be sufficient, but only has one rail. Not sure what advantage multiple rails hold.

Ultra LS500 Lifetime Series 500W

Thoughts please! If any of these power supplies are sufficent, what would be best performance/value wise?

dieseldre2k

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
*Note: this is just info so u learn rather than have someone just link u to a good PSU*

its really not smart to go cheap on the 1 piece that can short-circuit and take everything out in ur system with it. there are affordable PSU's from better companies that wont die out in a half year.

first, u want to get a PSU from a good company like Antec, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, or OCZ. second, try to get a PSU with a high efficiency (preferably 80+ certified) so that u spend less on ur electric bills and have more reliable power to ur pieces, less heat, and less noise. third, make sure u have a good amount of amps on the 12V rail (thats where most computer pieces get powered from).

that being said, the first PCP&C PSU that knotknut linked u to is great. get the second if u can so it lasts u for ur next build after this one.

spiderdan

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Thanks for the responses knotnut and dieseldre2k. For the extra ten bucks, I have to go with the 610 watt. Thanks for the great tip! Thanks you for the information as well dieseldre2k. I do like to learn about this type off thing, but I'm afraid a power supply is something I have not given much thought to in the past. Looked up a bit before making my original choices, but it is obvious I could get something much better for my money than I was planning on. Thanks again to both of you!

jlabit

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
Have to agree with the PC Power & Cooling 610 noted above. I own one and it is built like a Sherman Tank. There is no better quality on the market, a few as good, but none better than PC Power & Cooling. Again as stated above, there is ONE component you do not want to go cheap on and that is the power supply. Good luck.

dieseldre2k

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008

newegg is out of stock on the E7200, so they're probably phasing them out.

anyway, Intel has a pricing structure that's weird and encourages consumers to buy certain processors over others. this can also happen if newegg has sales to empty out their inventory for whatever reason.