Need help with FSB:dRAM ratio

Hi,
I have an ASUS P5QL/EPU with DDR2 800 RAM and I'm trying to overclock my E4300.

On my old ASROCK board, I could push the Bus speed to 290 and get 2.6ghz and be perfectly stable.
However, on this board, I can't go beyond 250 or the system won't boot, this is with the same multiplier of 9.

CPU-Z is showing my FSB:DRAM ratio as 3:5 which I'm assuming is putting too much strain on my RAM.

My question is, how do I set the FSB:DRAM ratio in the BIOS? All I can do is select one of 667/800/AUTO in the DRAM frequency drop down menu. Don't see an option to specifically set the ratio.

All the guides talk of setting FSB:DRAM ratio to 1:1. If I could do that I could oc the E4300 to 3.0ghz. But I can't do that. Don't have the setting/it won't let me. My ratio is stuck at 3:5 or thereabouts which is not good on my RAM hence I can't oc.

Is it just this particular board or am I missing something?? I have the latest bios.

This is becoming extremely frustrating. My old ASROCK board was a rubbish board but had a ratio of 1:1 by default and I could set the bus speed to 290 and my RAM would be fine.

On this board a bus speed of 260 pushes my RAM to about 870mhz, anything more than that and it won't post.

Please help!
7 answers Last reply
More about need dram ratio
  1. You might look for "Memory Divider" or "strap" in your BIOS memory settings. If it is there, you can change the ratio there, which should change the RAM frequency.
  2. Thanks for the reply.

Asus have told me there's no option for directly changing the fsb:dram ratio on this board.
    What a pile of rubbish.
  3. Funny thing is that Asrock is the Cheaper version of Asus... how ironic...
  4. That drop down menu with Dram frequencies, the lowest one should be your 1:1
  5. Quote:
    Thanks for the reply.

Asus have told me there's no option for directly changing the fsb:dram ratio on this board.
    What a pile of rubbish.

You're welcome. Sorry you couldn't get a useful BIOS or update.
  6. leave the ram alone. its your cpu's fsb. mine is set at 8x 200mhz for 1600mhz fsb on the cpu. my ram is pc2 6400 800mhz. if i change my cpu fsb to 4x 200mhz then my ratio is 1 : 1. whats your cpu fsb?

Phenom x4 9150e
    Asrock A785GM-LE/128M
    2GB Kingston PC2-6400 CL5
    250GB WD Caviar Blue
    Ati HD 4200 (for now and its better than u may think)
  7. after asking around a little bit more, I tried it. cpu z reported my ratio went from 1 : 2 to 2 : 1 for some reason. i did a windows aero performance test and my stats stayed the same...
    cpu = 6.5
    memory = 5.5
    graphic = 4.1
    gaming graphics = 5.5
    hdd = 5.9

so ive switched back to defaults untill i learn more.
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel DRAM RAM Overclocking