Replacing Fan on CPU Cooler: Cooler Maseter 212 Plus

Henry1990

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I recently bought a computer for gaming and it seems a bit noisy, unplugged all the fans in my case and plugged in one at a time to isolate the noise and it seems to be coming from the fan on the Cooler Master 212 Plus. I installed it properly with the anti-vibration pads between the fan and the heatsink so it's not an installation problem. When it's running at 800rpm the noise is noticeable but not bad, but when it throttles up to 2000rpm it's like a jet engine.

My question is whether I can replace the fan on the heatsink and reduce the noise but not endanger the proper cooling of my processor. Or even crazier.. would it be possible to remove the fan altogether and use passive cooling.

I'm considering two fans as a replacement:
(1) Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D 120mm Case Fan
RPM: 800 RPM
Air-Flow: 33.5CFM
Noise: 8.7 dBA

(2) Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120mm Case Fan
RPM: 1200 RPM
Air-Flow: 49 CFM
Noise: 20.1 dBA

I would prefer fan(1) since it's much quieter and has a lower rpm but it's airflow is a bit low and somewhat of a concern. Fan(2) has much better airflow but it has a higher RPM and more than twice as loud. Would fan(1) be enough to keep the CPU cool and if not will fan(2) be significantly quieter than the Cooler Master fan?

My Computer:
CPU: Intel i7 860 2.8Ghz

Heatsink: Cooler Master 212 Plus

Mobo: Asus P7P55D Pro

PSU: Ultra X3 850-Watt

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower

Video Card: Geforce 8600GT (Replacing with dx11 card in a few months)

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
70 CFM at 19 DBA was proven to be a lie/joke. Still not to bad after the real numbers came out.

Gentle Typhoon 1850 is the king, try to find them. Jabtech got 100 in, they were all sold out in 3 days.

I got my 6 though........

yep. I was checking around the forums and people got around 80CFM with approx 30dba...which is still very very good. Most fans with 80CFM would get ~upper 30s, lower 40s in dba.

Great - I just happen to have two of those S-Flex 1600 rpm fans in one of my spare parts boxes. I'm going to use them with my brand new Thermalright Venomous-X cpu heatsink when it arrives! :)

Unfortunately I may have to wait a little longer. When I tried to track the shipment Fedex had the following message:

"Inclement weather conditions at Memphis hub may cause some service delays and disruptions within the U.S. today." :(

Happy Holidays! :bounce: