Wireless Linksys, shows connected but NO signal...

chu1chu2

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
All was fine then one day I start getting "little or no connectivity". Going back and forth, enabling/disenabling, manually starting WZC, restarting computer and on and on, it would work again. NOW it is staying connected but I have ZERO signal strength.........I am over it! Please help! Am an intermediate user so please be as specific as time allows:) Thank you in advance!

Solution
So, you got two things to do:
Determine if the router is bad by making sure that your laptop can connect to other routers or access points.
and
Determine if the adapter is bad by getting a new USB wireless adapter and wirelessly connecting to your router.

Make sense?

chu1chu2

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
It is a Lynksys (sp?). and I set it up about 1 year ago and it had worked fine until about 3 weeks ago and it just started doing this at random. I've gotten it to work several times then I bring the computer up and it isn't working. It's like the twilight zone.........And I'm sorry for being so vague but I'm not totally computer literate so I'm not sure what all I should/could tell you that can help. It's just one minute it's working and fine and the next it's not. I'm thinking it's the router but how could it be since it's only about 1 year old!? :sleep:

festerovic

Distinguished
no stupid questions, only stupid answers ;)

The adapter is simply the device that you use to connect to the wireless router or access point. The adapter can be a PCI card that goes in the computer, or a USB device. Either is fine. What we are trying to determine is if the problem exists with the router, or the adapter.

Regarding the router, even at 1 year old, its possible for the router to fail.

chu1chu2

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Well, I don't have either........never did to my knowledge. When I bought the router I put in the CD that it came with, followed the instructions, it started working, I took out the CD and that was that. It was working..........

festerovic

Distinguished
So, you got two things to do:
Determine if the router is bad by making sure that your laptop can connect to other routers or access points.
and
Determine if the adapter is bad by getting a new USB wireless adapter and wirelessly connecting to your router.

Make sense?

Solution