Sign in with
Your question

My CPU May Be Dead

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
December 8, 2008 2:20:28 AM

Hi. I recently upgraded my computer from a Socket 939 Athlon X2 to a brand-spanking new Quad-Core setup. I even went ahead and bought a new case, since I never really liked my old one anyway.

but I finally finished building it last night, and now I have a problem: it seems my CPU is dead, as all signs point towards it. here are the details:

Specs:

Case- NZXT. Lexa-NP in Silver
PSU- HIPER Type-R 580W Modular Power Supply
Motherboard- ASUS P5Q-E w/ Intel P45 Chipset
Processor- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Video Card- HIS ATI Radeon HD 4670
RAM- OCZ FlexxLC 1200Mhz PC 9600 Dual Channel DDR2 Memory
HDD- 1 Seagate 300GB, 1 Hitachi 750GB, both SATA II at 7200 RPMs.
ODD- Plextor 740A
And 1 Linksys Wireless-N Adapter

Problem: I start my computer, it starts up, all the fans spin, I can hear the hard drives spinning, the lights come on, and the temperature monitors on my case show that the CPU, the Video Card, and the HDDs start heating up. but there is nothing on the monitor. no beeps from the BIOS or the motherboard either. il y a rien. there is nothing to indicate much life on my computer.

but here's the run-down: it can't be the power supply (or the power running to the motherboard) because everything is getting power; fans spinning and all. it can't be the hard drives because it hasn't even gotten to the BIOS (it would just wait for input); it couldn't be the video card, because I would still get a beep or something from the POST. that only leaves the motherboard and the CPU.

what do you guys think? I'd like some logical conclusions, s'il vous plait.

EDIT: added RAM into the specs, forgot it. Also, for those who are just entering, my motherboard has an 8-pin ATX 12V line, while my Power Supply only has a 4-Pin ATX 12V line. I have tried resetting the CMOS, switching Graphics ports, unplugging and replugging every power connector, and also unplugging everything and running a most basic setup. the only thing that got me any recognition from the motherboard was leaving all 4 DIMM's unoccupied. I got the "no RAM detected" beeps. I have ordered a new power supply, a Silverstone ST70, and if that doesn't work, I don't know what will.

More about : cpu dead

a b à CPUs
December 8, 2008 2:28:00 AM

What is going on with all these random characters in the posts??

Anyway, to your question. It very well could be the CPU, however I know some motherboards check that and beep if it is damaged or not present. Try looking up info for your mobo and see if it has a beep pattern for that. If it does, it may be the Mobo.
December 8, 2008 2:41:47 AM

I'm going to try putting it in another Socket 775 computer I have running. I just don't like it cause it's more work and time. I just want a working computer again. :( 
Related resources
December 8, 2008 2:42:46 AM

Its not the CPU, and it is the power going to the motherboard.

Your 1 of about 100 people that forgot to plug in the 4 or 8 pin 12v ATX CPU power this week.

The plug you forgot will be around the CPU socket, it will be 4 or 8 pin. It will run on 4 if thats all your PSU has.

Plug it in and enjoy your new PC. Next time read the manual.
December 8, 2008 2:44:49 AM

Dont put it in a different socket. Make sure you have the 24 pin power and the 4/8 pin power plugged in or it wont run.

You got the classic no 4/8 pin power symptoms.
December 8, 2008 2:49:05 AM

You logged off, so I assume your plugging in your 4 pin now. LOL.
December 8, 2008 2:54:33 AM

no, that was plugged in all along. the motherboard has a 24-pin connector (the main plug) and then one 12V ATX 4-pin plug right above the CPU Fan. I didn't forget it. but merci.

and I'm on a laptop right now, so no need to log off. hehe.
December 8, 2008 2:58:03 AM

Well double check the connections.

Try with one stick of ram.

You might need a older cpu to flash the bios for your CPU.

Last but not least try assembling everything outside the case to make sure its not a grounding issue.
December 8, 2008 3:01:18 AM

I hope your not confusing the fan cord for the 4 pin power?

Your board actually has a 8 pin socket.
December 8, 2008 3:13:48 AM

That looks like it could very possibly be a bios/CPU issue where the bios is not updated enough...flash the bios to the latest version
December 8, 2008 4:04:25 AM

connections have been double and triple checked.

I'm pretty sure it's not a grounding issue, as I used all the standoffs, all the holes, and the case was built with ASUS motherboards in mind. plus, if it was a grounding issue, wouldn't it have not started at all?

it says on the box that it supports the Intel Core 2 Quad line, and yes, I have an 8 pin socket, but the other 4 are blocked off with a cap, and my power supply only has a 4-pin connector.
December 8, 2008 4:12:16 AM

Quote:
What is going on with all these random characters in the posts??

Russian hax0rs :sweat: 

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's not a grounding issue, as I used all the standoffs, all the holes, and the case was built with ASUS motherboards in mind. plus, if it was a grounding issue, wouldn't it have not started at all?

Built for Asus mobos? wtf.

Quote:
it says on the box that it supports the Intel Core 2 Quad line, and yes, I have an 8 pin socket, but the other 4 are blocked off with a cap, and my power supply only has a 4-pin connector.

the other 4 are blocked off for psu's that don't have all 8 pins. that tab is meant to be lifted off and plugged in with another 4 pins. your PSU should have a 4+4pin Auxillary power connector... go fishing in the cables for a 4 pin square-ish connector. then attach it to the original 4 pins and plug em all in!
December 8, 2008 4:15:47 AM

god f*cking dammit! you're right. about the ATX 12V connector. I read most of the manual, but I skipped that part.

f*ck.. I thought I was going to get an easy upgrade seeing as I only had to get new RAM/MB/CPU/CPU Fan... dammit.. now I need a new power supply...

okay. I'll keep you all posted. thanks a bunch for your help guys, especially you Roadrunner.
December 8, 2008 4:17:23 AM

:lol:  i just googled that psu of yours to see if it had 8pin.. no luck :non: 
December 8, 2008 4:48:04 AM

even so that probably wouldn't do it. Most mobos are designed to work even if there is only a 4 pin (hence why the other 4 pins are by default blocked off, im running my system on a 4 pin connection even though there is an 8 pin connector). If it isn't even posting with the 4 pin connected i would venture a guess that something else is the problem
December 8, 2008 4:49:04 AM

hmm but maybe the quads really need the extra 4 pins to boot? can't hurt either way...
December 8, 2008 4:57:39 AM

if you take out all the sticks of ram and try starting it up do you get any beeps?

Have you tried booting it with just 1 stick of ram, the cpu, and the video card?

Have you double checked that your monitor / DVI cable work?

Cleared the CMOS?

It could be that you need a better power supply but i would check all of those first before dropping the money on a new psu that may or may not fix the problem
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2008 4:58:22 AM

They shouldn't. A lack of enough power (due to only having a 4 pin) could make a really high power demand situation (like a high overclock on a quad) become unstable, and bluescreen, but just on boot, it shouldn't be pulling enough power to need that.
December 8, 2008 7:27:01 AM

yer clearing the CMOS might help.. you never know.
December 9, 2008 3:39:33 AM

okay, I just tried removing the RAM and all extra components- nothing but the Power Supply, the Graphics Card, CPU, CPU Fan, and one 1 GB stick of RAM. I unplugged everything else, and switched the ports of the graphics card (it has two DVI's), and even tried a different DVI-to-VGA Adaptor- yeah, my monitor is still old. hehe.

anyway, still got the same thing going on.

I didn't reset the CMOS yet, but it's worth a shot too- just about anything is. I'll look up how to do it.
December 9, 2008 3:55:17 AM

Either a button on the PCB of the motherboard, a jumper on the PCB of the motherboard, or if you're lucky, a button on the I/O plate.
December 9, 2008 5:07:00 AM

also you can just take the battery on the mobo out for a couple minutes. I prefer to do it this way because you can't really mess it up :D 
a b à CPUs
December 9, 2008 5:12:41 AM

roadrunner197069 said:
You logged off, so I assume your plugging in your 4 pin now. LOL.

lol +1
December 9, 2008 6:29:09 AM

^as you would notice if you read the rest of this forum he is typing all of this from his laptop and the problem has yet to be resolved
December 9, 2008 10:39:09 PM

in between doing homework and getting ready for Finals, I cleared the CMOS while taking a break. I wasn't able to get the battery out, just couldn't figure it out (which is probably an okay thing), but I did find the jumpers and reset them.

nothing. same thing as before.
December 9, 2008 11:42:49 PM

Okie dokie, I finally have something for you!

this time I removed the video card and reset the CMOS by removing the battery. I also removed the RAM this time. FINALLY I get a noise. the speaker tells me "No RAM detected," and I just looked down and I forgot to put what RAM I have. I'll edit that and correct it there too, but I have:

RAM- OCZ FlexXLC Edition Dual Channel 2048MB (1024x2) PC2-9600 1200Mhz DDR2.

my motherboard says it supports 1200 Mhz memory, in fact, it's supposed to be one of the selling points.

so, I pondered that. I put a stick of RAM back in, and this time, something odd happened when I pressed the power button. it turned on, and then it turned off. in about 3 seconds, it turns back on again and proceeds to do nothing. I moved the RAM to the B-slots and it does the same thing. it's beginning to look more and more like the power supply every time..
December 10, 2008 2:14:20 AM

there is also a 6pin connection to your Graphics card see if that is the problem for ya. I had a friend that did that and did not boot for him.
December 10, 2008 3:59:14 AM

^if aux graphics power isnt plugged in the graphics card would most probably give the loudest most high pitched beeeeeeeeeep you have ever heard. besides, i thought i saw the OP say further up that he did plug in gfx power...
December 10, 2008 4:40:28 AM

no, my graphics card doesn't require an additional power source. it gets everything from the PCI-Express Port. I looked over when I first got it, and there's only the plug for the fan.

also, there had been no beeps at all until now.
December 10, 2008 5:13:01 AM

ohk. just scrolled up and saw it was a 4670 :lol:  maybe blackpanther should have done the same..
December 10, 2008 6:17:00 AM

OCZ sells a lot of RAM that won't work at the DDR2 standard 1.8-1.9V, but rather needs a higher voltage. Unfortunately, in such a case, you'll need some "normal" DDR2 RAM to boot the system and crank up the memory voltage in the BIOS so the OCZ stuff will work. Maybe you could borrow a stick of normal DDR2?
December 10, 2008 8:08:21 AM

Infinity_Wasted said:

odd happened when I pressed the power button. it turned on, and then it turned off. in about 3 seconds, it turns back on again and proceeds to do nothing. I moved the RAM to the B-slots and it does the same thing. it's beginning to look more and more like the power supply every time..

This sounds like a grounding issue (which happened on my first build in 2006). How many standoffs did you use? I would tear the motherboard out and recheck when you mount it that everything is lined up and none of the standoffs are in a Micro-ATX location causing a ground (if you're case supports M-ATX mobos). My case had **** directions that I followed that caused the ground.
December 10, 2008 8:09:55 AM

Mondoman said:
OCZ sells a lot of RAM that won't work at the DDR2 standard 1.8-1.9V, but rather needs a higher voltage. Unfortunately, in such a case, you'll need some "normal" DDR2 RAM to boot the system and crank up the memory voltage in the BIOS so the OCZ stuff will work. Maybe you could borrow a stick of normal DDR2?

Definitely, OCZ ram is kinda... :non:  Just run to BestBuy or some other dump that has a lax return policy and pick up some 1.8v value ram.
December 10, 2008 9:39:50 PM

no need to buy any RAM- my friend's computer uses normal DDR2 RAM. also, when I saw on OCZ's website that their RAM runs at 2.2V, I thought that probably had something to do with it.

Noya, to answer your question, I used all the standoffs, and my case is compatible with ATX and mATX motherboards. they're labelled, and I used only the ATX ones. and I used every hole on the board, along with the designated screws (they were in the same bag as the standoffs).
December 10, 2008 11:28:34 PM

I had an experience once where every component would power on, but no beep sounds. The power light keeps blinking and cd-rom drive also. I checked everything, removed the graphic card, and the problem is fixed. A small circuit on the graphic card was burned.
December 11, 2008 2:45:53 AM

Pico_w said:
I had an experience once where every component would power on, but no beep sounds. The power light keeps blinking and cd-rom drive also. I checked everything, removed the graphic card, and the problem is fixed. A small circuit on the graphic card was burned.

that was going to be my next objective, along with putting in the different RAM, and replacing the fans and putting in the new PSU. I have an Nvidia 7600 PCI-Express card just for this.
!