My CPU May Be Dead

Infinity_Wasted

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Hi. I recently upgraded my computer from a Socket 939 Athlon X2 to a brand-spanking new Quad-Core setup. I even went ahead and bought a new case, since I never really liked my old one anyway.

but I finally finished building it last night, and now I have a problem: it seems my CPU is dead, as all signs point towards it. here are the details:

Specs:

Case- NZXT. Lexa-NP in Silver
PSU- HIPER Type-R 580W Modular Power Supply
Motherboard- ASUS P5Q-E w/ Intel P45 Chipset
Processor- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Video Card- HIS ATI Radeon HD 4670
RAM- OCZ FlexxLC 1200Mhz PC 9600 Dual Channel DDR2 Memory
HDD- 1 Seagate 300GB, 1 Hitachi 750GB, both SATA II at 7200 RPMs.
ODD- Plextor 740A
And 1 Linksys Wireless-N Adapter

Problem: I start my computer, it starts up, all the fans spin, I can hear the hard drives spinning, the lights come on, and the temperature monitors on my case show that the CPU, the Video Card, and the HDDs start heating up. but there is nothing on the monitor. no beeps from the BIOS or the motherboard either. il y a rien. there is nothing to indicate much life on my computer.

but here's the run-down: it can't be the power supply (or the power running to the motherboard) because everything is getting power; fans spinning and all. it can't be the hard drives because it hasn't even gotten to the BIOS (it would just wait for input); it couldn't be the video card, because I would still get a beep or something from the POST. that only leaves the motherboard and the CPU.

what do you guys think? I'd like some logical conclusions, s'il vous plait.

EDIT: added RAM into the specs, forgot it. Also, for those who are just entering, my motherboard has an 8-pin ATX 12V line, while my Power Supply only has a 4-Pin ATX 12V line. I have tried resetting the CMOS, switching Graphics ports, unplugging and replugging every power connector, and also unplugging everything and running a most basic setup. the only thing that got me any recognition from the motherboard was leaving all 4 DIMM's unoccupied. I got the "no RAM detected" beeps. I have ordered a new power supply, a Silverstone ST70, and if that doesn't work, I don't know what will.

What is going on with all these random characters in the posts??

Anyway, to your question. It very well could be the CPU, however I know some motherboards check that and beep if it is damaged or not present. Try looking up info for your mobo and see if it has a beep pattern for that. If it does, it may be the Mobo.

Infinity_Wasted

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
I'm going to try putting it in another Socket 775 computer I have running. I just don't like it cause it's more work and time. I just want a working computer again. :(

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Its not the CPU, and it is the power going to the motherboard.

Your 1 of about 100 people that forgot to plug in the 4 or 8 pin 12v ATX CPU power this week.

The plug you forgot will be around the CPU socket, it will be 4 or 8 pin. It will run on 4 if thats all your PSU has.

Plug it in and enjoy your new PC. Next time read the manual.

Infinity_Wasted

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
no, that was plugged in all along. the motherboard has a 24-pin connector (the main plug) and then one 12V ATX 4-pin plug right above the CPU Fan. I didn't forget it. but merci.

and I'm on a laptop right now, so no need to log off. hehe.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Well double check the connections.

Try with one stick of ram.

You might need a older cpu to flash the bios for your CPU.

Last but not least try assembling everything outside the case to make sure its not a grounding issue.

Infinity_Wasted

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
connections have been double and triple checked.

I'm pretty sure it's not a grounding issue, as I used all the standoffs, all the holes, and the case was built with ASUS motherboards in mind. plus, if it was a grounding issue, wouldn't it have not started at all?

it says on the box that it supports the Intel Core 2 Quad line, and yes, I have an 8 pin socket, but the other 4 are blocked off with a cap, and my power supply only has a 4-pin connector.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
What is going on with all these random characters in the posts??
Russian hax0rs :sweat:

I'm pretty sure it's not a grounding issue, as I used all the standoffs, all the holes, and the case was built with ASUS motherboards in mind. plus, if it was a grounding issue, wouldn't it have not started at all?
Built for Asus mobos? wtf.

it says on the box that it supports the Intel Core 2 Quad line, and yes, I have an 8 pin socket, but the other 4 are blocked off with a cap, and my power supply only has a 4-pin connector.
the other 4 are blocked off for psu's that don't have all 8 pins. that tab is meant to be lifted off and plugged in with another 4 pins. your PSU should have a 4+4pin Auxillary power connector... go fishing in the cables for a 4 pin square-ish connector. then attach it to the original 4 pins and plug em all in!

Infinity_Wasted

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
god f*cking dammit! you're right. about the ATX 12V connector. I read most of the manual, but I skipped that part.

f*ck.. I thought I was going to get an easy upgrade seeing as I only had to get new RAM/MB/CPU/CPU Fan... dammit.. now I need a new power supply...

okay. I'll keep you all posted. thanks a bunch for your help guys, especially you Roadrunner.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
even so that probably wouldn't do it. Most mobos are designed to work even if there is only a 4 pin (hence why the other 4 pins are by default blocked off, im running my system on a 4 pin connection even though there is an 8 pin connector). If it isn't even posting with the 4 pin connected i would venture a guess that something else is the problem

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
if you take out all the sticks of ram and try starting it up do you get any beeps?

Have you tried booting it with just 1 stick of ram, the cpu, and the video card?

Have you double checked that your monitor / DVI cable work?

Cleared the CMOS?

It could be that you need a better power supply but i would check all of those first before dropping the money on a new psu that may or may not fix the problem

They shouldn't. A lack of enough power (due to only having a 4 pin) could make a really high power demand situation (like a high overclock on a quad) become unstable, and bluescreen, but just on boot, it shouldn't be pulling enough power to need that.

Infinity_Wasted

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
okay, I just tried removing the RAM and all extra components- nothing but the Power Supply, the Graphics Card, CPU, CPU Fan, and one 1 GB stick of RAM. I unplugged everything else, and switched the ports of the graphics card (it has two DVI's), and even tried a different DVI-to-VGA Adaptor- yeah, my monitor is still old. hehe.

anyway, still got the same thing going on.

I didn't reset the CMOS yet, but it's worth a shot too- just about anything is. I'll look up how to do it.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Either a button on the PCB of the motherboard, a jumper on the PCB of the motherboard, or if you're lucky, a button on the I/O plate.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
also you can just take the battery on the mobo out for a couple minutes. I prefer to do it this way because you can't really mess it up :D

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
^as you would notice if you read the rest of this forum he is typing all of this from his laptop and the problem has yet to be resolved

Infinity_Wasted

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
in between doing homework and getting ready for Finals, I cleared the CMOS while taking a break. I wasn't able to get the battery out, just couldn't figure it out (which is probably an okay thing), but I did find the jumpers and reset them.

nothing. same thing as before.